Lobo - The Meeting Chapter 13

When the rain stopped, they rode off toward the back gate of the city, passing more dead on their way out. This time, it wasn't the people of Mazel Town they saw lying in their own blood, but the soldiers of Mordrid whose necks and throats held knives and forks with some having daggers thrust upon their hearts.

"At least those fuckers got what they deserved," Sir Elroy said, riding past them with Micah and Lobo looking on.

"Dying was too easy for them," added Old Lobo. "They deserved to be tortured, not killed."

"These men have families too," Micah told them. "They're only soldiers. They take orders, not pass them."

"And what if your new wife and little sister were the victims alongside these people; would you still take pity on them?" Sir Elroy asked.

"For my sister, I would murder every last soldier Mordrid had to offer."

"And your wife?" Sir Elroy asked again.

"Let us ride before the rain graces us with its presence once again," Micah replied, ignoring the question.

When they left Mazel Town, they rode about a half mile until meeting an old run down bridge that hung over the Serpents River. It sat on the left side of the Old road, down a muddy hill, where they saw footprints and horse tracks imprinted in the mud.

"Getting through the mud is one thing," said Sir Elroy, "but to cross that century's old bridge is another. I'm not ready to die unless I take at least a thousand Red Vests with me."

Micah got down off his horse and began walking down the hill. Mud stuck to his heels as he presses it downward with each step he took. His uncle followed him behind doing the same, while Sir Elroy looked on, shaking his head as he got down from his horse. As Micah continued down the hill, his horse slipped and fell upon its belly, pushing him down as the animal slid behind him, drawing him nearer to the bridge. On his way down, he felt the ends of stones grazing his chest and belly as he slithered downward.

In a moment of desperation and sheer will, he stretches his left arm outward, grabbing hold of a large pointed bolder, before maneuvering himself to the side of the horse. He was bearing witness as the animal fell off the side of the bridge and into the overflowing river where he plummetted to his death.

"Micah!" his uncle called out, still taking his time down the slippery hill.

"I'm fine, I'm fine!" Micah shouted while Sir Elroy looked on while heading down.

"Don't worry lad, I'm coming to meet you!" he shouted, taking his time, moving much slower than Old Lobo.

"Coming down here was the worst idea you ever had," his uncle told him, while helping him up from off the ground.

"If I was wrong why were you following me?" Micah asked, wiping the mud off from his ears.

"I was drunk," Old lob answered.

"Which one of you will be the first to cross?" Sir Elroy asked, meeting them where they stood.

"I'll do it," Micah muttered. "It's my idea to come here; I should be the first to fall if the bridge collapses."

"Don't be stupid!" Old Lobo said in anger, grabbing the wine sack from his bag.

"I promised your mother I'd look over you. What kind of uncle would I be if I watched my only nephew die?"

"Why don't you leave the wine sack with us?" Sir Elroy told him as he watched Lobo gobbling down as much as he can.

"If I'm going to die, at least I'll die a happy man," Old Lobo told them before stepping onto the old wooden board covered with moss and grass, holding onto both sides of the rope.