Chapter 77: Wealthy Gains, Enforcing Rules

Author's Note:
A point in Narutoverse history, Warring States Period, was a timespan of two centuries where the Ashikaga Shogunate (a centralized system of government) collapsed and Japan was torn into various factions amid a bloody civil war
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Uchiha Tonan returned to the North City Guard's residence hall, where he drank tea. The attendant had already dispersed the Guard members. Not long after, Yoshiwara Ao respectfully drew his attention to hand over a scroll, "Tonan-sama."

Tonan put down the teacup to spread out the scroll and made hand signs to undo the seal.

Bang!

After a smoke cloud dissipated, more than a dozen boxes appeared in the open space in front of them. Tonan asked Ao to open each of them. The boxes were filled with either gold, silver, and jewelry, or antiques and land deeds. Expectedly, there was also cash and banknotes. This was Shimokawara Shota's savings over the years.

Tonan nodded with satisfaction, "Are these all his assets?"

Ao quickly took out an account book and handed it over with a bow, "Yes, this is the account book. You can please check it."

Tonan took the account book and examined it for a while.

'This guy's total assets are worth about 200 million Ryo! It's enough to buy the land for the welfare institution. This trip was worthwhile. That Shota character really... died well.'

'A mere vice-captain can accumulate almost 200 million in savings. Fire Capital deserves to be called Ninja World's most prosperous city. Just the entry and exit tariff paid by the caravans should be astronomical. Deducting a bit of profit is enough to cover an A-ranked mission.'

Suddenly, Tonan inquired, "What about his family?"

Ao replied while pouring tea, "He has seven directly-related family members including both young and old. I've arrested and detained them under the North City Guard's temporary custody."

Tonan nodded. He was satisfied with this newly acquired subordinate, who matched a bit of his own style. "Keep them for now, and send one corpse plus five million Ryo to the Supervision Minister Residence every month."

Ao nodded and asked lightly, "Do we need to write a report?"

Tonan shook his head with a smile, "Masaki-sama will write it for us. This is his political achievement. Oh yes, from now on, you'll manage the North City Guard for me. Smuggling, tax fraud, bribing, and what was collected earlier should all be continued. We must not break rules, lest the other three City Guard guardian lords feel uneasy."

Ao was overjoyed, and respectfully replied, "I understand."

Tonan picked up his teacup, and lightly asked as he took a sip, "By the way, if asked, who instructed you to do these things?"

Ao's eyes flashed with a smile, "Tonan-sama was busy with training. The others and I deceived you to embezzle money, it was our arbitrary action."

Tonan chuckled and waved his hand, "Withdraw."

......

Three months later, Tonan had completely consolidated his position in the Fire Capital. Every month, North City Guard would give him a grey income of almost 20 million Ryo. Five million Ryo from this was used to pay a tribute to the Supervision Minister.

The past North City Guard captains paid a tribute to the Guardian Residence chief too, hoping to gain a chance at promotion. But Tonan was here just for a mission. Regardless of how well he did, he wouldn't get promoted.