Chapter 76: Divide & Rule, Bribing Minister

Half an hour later, Yoshiwara Ao came back with a thick stack of documents and put it on the table, "My Lord, these were found in Shimokawara Shota's house."

Shota's back was drenched with sweat but he maintained his fierce look, "Tonan, I advise you not to look at these documents. Some things are too serious, not everyone can handle it."

"I understand this rationale. Why do people have two eyes? It's to sometimes turn a blind eye," Tonan flipped through the records, and then look at everyone in the swamp, "These are the reasons why you all don't dare report him, right?"

Everyone lowered their heads in silence. Tonan chuckled and instructed Ao, "Burn these."

Ao respectfully replied, "Yes, Tonan-sama." He brought over a fire pan and burned each of the documents one by one in front of everyone. Shota watched Ao burn it all and gloated, "You're completely done for now. Among the things you burned just now, there was also the city entry tax book, which had to be delivered to the Finance Minister. I'll see how you'll explain this."

Tonan frowned hearing this and asked with a surprised look, "Who said I burned anything? I just wanted to check the accounts, but you were so worried about your corruption being exposed that you burned even the tax books. Everyone here can testify to that."

Shota was startled and enraged, "You're framing me!"

"Everyone, I believe you're all law-abiding citizens and will not go along with this miscreant. Anyone who wants to report him can speak freely. These are all merits. You'll be rewarded even if you're not promoted. Ao, please record each of their reports along with their names and fingerprints. By the way, if there's someone who didn't report anything, record his name as well. I suspect that person is Vice-Captain Shota's accomplice."

After Tonan was done, he picked up the cup and lowered his eyes to sip on his tea. There was silence for a bit, but soon, someone broke it.

"I've something to say, Shimokawara Shota privately took protection money from gangsters outside the city."

"He also privately released prohibited items into the city."

"He also sheltered several human-trafficking organizations."

......

The clock ticked second by second. Tonan released everyone who exposed Shota's crimes and Ao diligently noted it. Once everyone was done, he handed the notebook over to Tonan.

Tonan waved it in front of Shota and asked, "Is this enough for you to die?"

Shota took a few deep breaths and pretended to be tough, "There's no real evidence. According to the Land of Fire laws, you can't do anything to me."

"I'll burn the evidence for you later. If you've any grievances, appear in the Daimyo's dream and report it," Tonan chuckled and shook his head. He then pointed at a Northern City Guard, "As his colleague, why don't you put an end to his pathetic life? I remember you reported the most crimes."

That Northern City Guard looked to his right and left, and then wobbled forward in trepidation. He reached out to pick up a kunai and hesitantly looked at Shota. After all, he knew so much about Shota's misdeeds because they shared a good rapport and he too was involved in all of it.

By now, Shota was truly frightened and couldn't mask his fear, "No! I submit to you, I'll do whatever you want me to do..."

Tonan was not in a rush. He rubbed his chin, pretending to think, "If you submit to me, you'll still be the Vice-Captain, and all that happened today would just be a misunderstanding. Later, wouldn't you want to get back at everyone who reported you?"