I knew because I had felt the same.

I knew because I had been rejected. 

Figuring it wouldn't be a smart thing to just ask her about it outright, I decided to go with the more normal type of conversation a stranger would start up. "I haven't noticed you at school, how old are you?"

She looked back over her shoulder, a slightly shocked look on her face as if she didn't expect me to speak to her. "I'm sixteen, but I'm home schooled." Her pace slowed until she was walking next to me. "Do you go to school with Alpha Mason and Jude?" A slight blush rose to her cheeks.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes and laugh, another girl with a crush on Mason. It wasn't surprising. "Yeah," I answered. "I wish I was home schooled though, that must be pretty awesome."

"It's not." Unhappiness sparkled in her big, hazel eyes. "I didn't have a choice. You're really lucky to be able to see your friends every day." My stomach twisted with her words. What could I say to her? School was the worst part of most people's day, but I would bet everything I had, Sophia would give anything to have to get up for school every day.

There wasn't much said after that. We made small talk, but I got a sense that she was happier to walk in silence. Finally, we reached a corridor that was somewhat familiar. It was darker than the others, only being lit by the small lamps hanging from the wall. As with the others, the walls here where decorated with framed pictures probably costing more than my house.

Sophia suddenly stopped and turned around. "It's the door up ahead." She jabbed her thumb over her shoulder.

I opened my mouth to thank her, but I was cut short by the feeling of something pushing through my mind. I knew it was Mason trying to link with me. Thankfully I had remembered to put the block up when Nellie started talking about Alpha Michael. Mason had never spoken about him and I wasn't sure if he would appreciate Nellie telling me the story she did. "Thanks Sophia, I really appreciate it." She returned my smile with one of her own.

Turning away from me, she began to walk away. "How will I know my way back?" I called out to her, ignoring the mind prodding from Mason.

She turned briefly, "Just follow the smell of oranges," she shrugged, "that's my scent and I'll be with Nellie." After flashing a quick smile, she turned a corner and was gone from my vision.

Making sure I still kept the vision block up so he wouldn't be able to see where I was, I could slowly feel his voice seeping through my mind.

Are you okay? His words were rushed with a hit of worry in his voice.

The smile crept onto my lips. I'm fine, I was helping Nellie. I said, not exactly lying to him.

She's letting you help her? He sounded a little taken back, obviously not expecting that answer.

Well, I offered so she didn't really have a choice.

His deep, throaty chuckle echoed through my head. I'm not surprised, you're stubborn.

I laughed. You're just a stubborn, you jerk.

Sweetheart, no one will ever out do you with stubbornness, not even a jerk like me. The amused tone to his voice had me laughing again. Listen little kitten, I can't get to the house, coach wants us training for the rest of the day. Are you going to be okay or do you need me to come back?

My stomach danced. I had a feeling it would take me a while to get used to how adorable he was being lately. No, don't worry about me. I'll be fine with Nellie and I met a girl, Sophia. Just do whatever you've got to do and I'll see you after school.