Chapter 29

Idk how long this is gonna be, but it's gonna be long. Like, long.

———

Zak's POV

"Zak! Zak!" I hear a voice say, and I groan quietly. I pull the blanket off of me, and turn to face the voice. "Zak we did it! Mommy's gonna treat us out to dinner! Come on, come on!" Mia says, jumping up and down in front of me.

I stare at her blankly, and just turn away. "Sorry Mia, I can't come," I respond, before fixing my eyes on the wall again.

"Zak? Are you okay?" she says, sounding both disappointed and concerned. I squeeze my eyes shut. "Yes, Mia. Go away," I say, trying to keep myself from crying.

"But Zak-"

"I SAID GO AWAY!" I scream, covering my own ears as if I'm screaming at myself. My eyes stay shut, but I can hear Mia burst into tears and run out of the room. That probably wasn't wise.

But no guilt or fear or anything rises inside of me. In fact, I almost feel nothing at all. The only thing I feel is nauseous. But I've felt like that ever since I threw up the other night.

I open my eyes slowly, putting my hands down, feeling around for my phone. I find it lying next to me, and look at the amount of notifications I got. I frown.

I don't open any of them, I just stare at them. There's some from my mom, my friends, Twitter, and of course, Darryl.

My phone only makes me feel more nauseous, and I go to put it down before it starts ringing. I sit up, looking at it again. Darryl was calling me. I click accept.

"Zak! Dude, you haven't answered anyone all day!" he says, sounding worried and annoyed at the same time. My nausea grows. "Sorry, I've been busy," I mumble into the phone. I don't even know if he can hear me.

"It's fine, are you coming to school tomorrow at least?" he says. (A/N: a song from my strings class entered my head as I wrote this and I started dancing-) I sigh. "No, sorry man. Haven't been feeling well," I try to put any type of emotion in my voice, but it doesn't work.

It was true, I really wasn't feeling well. But I would never use that to stop me from going to school. There's..other reasons. I guess you could say that, at least.

"Okay! Take your time. I can come over after school if you want? I can bring cookies!" he offers, and I want to smile, but I can't. "No, it's okay! Have a good day tomorrow," I say, closing my eyes again.

"Alright, feel better!" he answers before hanging up. I place my phone next to me, before falling back onto my pillow. What the heck is happening?

———

Darryl's POV

The next day, I finally went to school again. They fixed the issue, but it was Friday. I guess that means less school, so that's good.

After hanging up on Zak last night, I started to get a little worried. When he walked me home, he was a little off, and at first I thought it was because he wasn't feeling well, but I feel like something else is going on with him.

I walk into the school, finally jolting back to reality. I still had 10 minutes before class, might as well go to the-

"Hey! You!" someone says, grabbing the collar of my shirt. My back gets slammed against the wall. "Where's Zak? He's always with you," he hisses, and I look at him, confused.

I push him off of me. "I don't even know who you are? How do you even know Zak?" I say, my voice stern. Who is this? Wouldn't Zak tell me about them?

"It shouldn't concern you, should it? Now tell me where is he?" his voice is quiet, but annoyed. I glare at him. "He isn't feeling well, so he's at home. What's it to you anyway?" I say, stepping closer to him. Our eyes lock, glaring at the other pair.