Chapter 16

Okayyyyy- this is try two at writing this because my friend deleted all the writing I had previously done for this chapter.

Let's go?

———

Zak's POV

The nurse turns towards us, and Darryl jumps up. I stay seated due to the fact Mia is still asleep on my lap. I watch as Darryl talks to the nurse. They're whispering, and he's turned away from me so I can't tell what's happening.

I stroke Mia's hair lightly, pointing my attention to the wall in front of me. I stare at it for a while, zoning out.

It's Mia who jolts me out of my thoughts, though. She starts stirring, causing me to look down towards her. I then realize where I am, and look around for Darryl. He's not in sight, so I stand up, picking Mia up as I stand.

I don't go look for him though, I simply look through the now cracked door into where his mother's hospital room is. He's in there, just sitting by her bedside. I slip inside, being mindful of Mia, and walk towards him. I stand next to him, frowning.

"So uh, how's your mom?" I ask, not really knowing what to say. He sniffs, and doesn't take his eyes off of his mother. The room is dim, the blinds shut and the only light being the small light that seeps in from under the door. Plus all the machines his mom is connected to.

"The doctor says she's fine, but she's in a coma. They estimated it would be like this for around 2 months," he explains quietly, and I sigh in relief. It would not be good if his mom died.

That doesn't stop me from feeling some sadness for him though, he's probably pretty sad about the fact his mother is in a coma and could very well die at any moment despite the doctors assumptions. But I ignore that factor, and just focus back on him.

I don't know how long we stayed there, all I know is that at some point, we both left.

———

The next day was less chaotic. Or, as much less chaotic as it could be with this many kids. It was around 11 in the morning, and everyone was awake. Kids were running around the house, I could hear all the footsteps even from up in my room.

Really, I was just trying to get some school work done. But it's impossible with this many distractions. It was Sunday, which means half of my homework was due tomorrow. Most of the time I didn't do it, but Darryl had been texting me all night last night to get it done. Sometimes I wish we weren't a year apart so we could do it together.

But Darryl couldn't hang out today because his father was coming home or something because of his mother. I didn't mind it, but it did leave some problems.

One of those problems, is not having an excuse to leave the house. And that provided the problem of having to deal with my family. The problem with that is that this whole family is just full of problems. Damn, I need to stop saying the word problem so much.

I get pulled away from my thoughts by a waving hand in front of my face. It was Zarro. "You gonna actually do that work or can you come help make lunch downstairs?" he says bluntly. I look up at him, shaking my head.

"I can't, I need to finish this before school tomorrow," I respond, looking down at the notebook in my lap. But obviously that wasn't the response he was hoping for, as I get pushed off my bed, landing on the floor with a 'hmph'. The notebook lands on the hardwood floor, making a louder noise.

"Come help make lunch, I don't care about your school work." I don't bother looking up as I hear him walk away, and quickly just pick up my notebook, throwing it on my bed before running out of the room.

——— (wow, so many time skips. That's annoying, right? Also this chapter is all gonna be in Zak's POV, sorry about that if you don't like it.)

I scratch my head as I walk upstairs, already feeling a headache grow inside me slowly. Somehow, all the adults managed to get out of the house that night, leaving three teens to take care of everyone. Two of those teens refused to help, and that left me. Meaning I was taking care of every single person in this house.

It was overall a nightmare, but somehow I managed to get everybody in bed AND make breakfast for tomorrow so I could leave for school without being late. What I didn't manage to do is finish my school work. I still had half of an essay to write.

So now here I am, siting on my bed, notebook beside me, writing on a piece of paper using moonlight as a lamp. This is gonna be one hell of a week.

———

Okay this was kind of shorter than I wanted, and really late, but it's a chapter. I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while, I just haven't had the time to actually sit and write. Hope you liked this? It wasn't as interesting as I wanted.

Word Count: 892