Chapter 24

Not me rereading to see what happened last chapter-

———

Zak's POV

When I finally woke up, it was dark outside. It took me a few minutes to get up, and when I did I automatically went to look for Darryl.

I went to the kitchen first. The lights were off, and it was somewhat dark. There was a plate on the counter, and Darryl is nowhere in sight.

I didn't even know what time it was, so without bothering to check the time I walk upstairs. I hear birds chirping outside. I find Darryl's room, and open the door. I see him, on his bed. Is he asleep?

I walk over to him, playfully shaking him. "Darryl?" I say softly, but he doesn't respond. My mouth forms into a frown. I take a step away from him.

What if he's dead? No, he can't be dead. He's just sleeping, it's fine. I'm overthinking this. Just stop thinking Zak.

The darkness sways around me as I stare at Darryl. Maybe I should try waking him up again? Yeah, I'll do that.

I walk over to him again, shaking him slightly. He shifts around in his sleep for a moment, before finally waking up. I sigh in relief.

"Zak?" he whispers, even though we're the only ones in the house. There's still a frown on my face. "Yeah, hi," I say, realizing how long it's been since I've actually talked to him.

He sits up, grabbing his phone off the nightstand. "It's one in the morning, what do you need?" he whispers, sounding slightly annoyed. I tense.

"I was just wondering where you were," I whisper back. "Sorry for waking you up, I can leave now." He stares at me for a few seconds before answering. "It's fine, but you really should eat something," he says, laying back down and turning away from me. "Just don't be too loud."

My mouth forms a smile. He does still care. Why wouldn't he? Well I mean, I did leave him. I'm overthinking this again, let's just go eat.

I leave his room quietly, and go back to the kitchen. I switch on the light, closing my eyes so it doesn't blind me. After a few seconds, I open them and then go to the cabinets. There isn't much there, most likely he hasn't gone grocery shopping in a while. Maybe we could go together sometime.

I find some bread and peanut butter and just make a small sandwich. I eat it slowly, having not eaten in a few days. It felt weird to eat, to be honest. I finish the sandwich, and clean up my mess. I didn't want Darryl to have to do any extra work.

I turn off the kitchen lights before heading back to the living room. I grab my phone, and open my emails. It was around two in the morning by now, and nobody was online on social media. Sucks.

I wasn't tired at all, so I kinda just watched YouTube until morning.

———

It's Darryl who comes to get me in the morning. It was already around seven, and I was mostly confused as to why he wasn't ready for school yet.

He seemed to notice the confusion rising off of me, and answered my question for me. "School's canceled today, water leak or something," he explains. He seems more awake than he was 6 hours ago. I mean, that made sense.

I let out a small laugh, and he gives me a confused look. "What are you laughing for?" he questions, raising an eyebrow.

I fall back down on the couch. "My cousins have no idea school is canceled, so they're going to walk the whole way there just to realize it's not happening! Hah!" I say, laughing again.

I hear Darryl laugh slightly, before walking off. My brain automatically assumes the worst. Did he leave because he was sick of me? Am I annoying to him?

But he comes back in moments later with a plate of food. "Here, eat. We're going to actually get stuff done today." He hands me the plate, and I take it. It's toast and eggs.

I eat slowly, and Darryl sits beside me watching TV. After I'm done, he goes to get ready. I wait downstairs, because I don't have a change of clothes other than what he gave me.

He told me to wait by the door, so that's what I'm doing. This is gonna be an interesting day.

———

AHH IM SO SORRY THIS IS SO SHORT! I WANTED TO GET A CHAPTER OUT AND I HAD NO MORE MOTIVATION! I will make the next one longer.

Thoughts?- comment them here!

Constructive criticism?- comment it here!

Ideas?- comment them here!

Word Count: 794 (sad.)