Ten

stella callahan

He tapped his desk and looked at the picture illuminated on his screen. Staring back at him was a head of golden blonde hair, a captivating smile and brown eyes of so many shades that the singular word brown did no justice. It was a photograph from a ball earlier in the year. Her ball gown complemented her modest curves and neutral skin tone. The off-shoulder design revealed her bare, feminine shoulders and delicate collarbones.

He pursed his lips.

"So, is this going to be my sister-in-law?" his brother, Ruben, asked, peering at the laptop over his shoulder.

"Yes."

"Does she know?"

"No, I only know because I walked in on Mother and Father speaking with Grandfather."

"Oh." He looked over the picture. "Stella Callahan?" He raised a brow. "She's one of the most sought-after young ladies."

"That she is," he murmured. The room always seemed to pause for a moment whenever she entered, like everyone had to stop what they were doing just so they could take her in.

It was a rather strange phenomenon. 

No matter where she went, she always stole the show and for good reason. She had everything most parents in their circle desired for their children. The bearing, the grace, the manners, the looks, the intelligence, and the smile. 

No wonder why his mother was always so happy whenever she spoke of his engagement.

He had to admit her smile was bright and could see how most men would become enamoured. She wasn't perfect but she was close, and he had to admit he did admire her for her effortless grace and kind nature. Despite her kindness, she was the granddaughter of Ida Callahan and was not someone that could be trifled with. She had a certain keenness that sparkled in her gaze. Even if she didn't, no one wanted to be on the receiving end of Richard Callahan's wrath. 

He could count the number of men that had high hopes of marrying her and it wasn't a small percentage. 

"When's the engagement party?" his brother asked.

"Early December." He clicked to the next picture he managed to find on Google Images. This one was of her in competition wear and her horse hanging his head over her shoulder.

"I don't suppose you can approach her?"

"No, Mother told me not to tell."

Ruben hummed. "Lucky man. She's beautiful and capable." He nodded his head in agreement and sat back, his fingers tapped along the desk. "She works on the board of directors, doesn't she?"

"Yes."

"So does she have dealings with the underground as well?" Ruben squinted.

"No, that side of things are left to Mr Callahan and his son. Even Mrs Callahan took a step back from it. From what I know, she knows about it, but isn't involved."

"That's good. She might run a mile otherwise."

He chuckled at his brother. "I think Stella Callahan is a little more courageous and filial than that."

"I suppose it would be weird if she didn't know about it. At least every family here has ties to the underworld."

"Well, yes. The O'Haras are related to the Irish Mafia and the Callahans have interests with them also."

"What do the Callahans do again?"

"I think they assist with money laundering through their real estate business while the O'Hara's have their hands in the black market."

"I suppose you don't have a family so old without getting your hands dirty. None of us are that clean."

He pulled out a cigarette as he looked at Ruben and lit it. "It's just lucky there are no enemies here. Well, as long as we don't break the rules."

"That's true." He nodded in agreement. "I do like how things always stay neutral among us despite the opposing businesses. Although I suppose no one wants to end up like the De Lucas."

He looked back down at the screen which showed another picture of Stella and Robert dancing. "Have you heard that Mr Callahan has found himself a new lady?"

"A mistress?"

"No, there are rumours going around that they're engaged, and Mr Callahan has moved her and her two children into the Callahan's home."

He raised a brow and drawled, "that's a surprise."

"I would have thought Mrs Callahan would have dug her heels in and refused."

"Me too," he agreed.

"A friend of mine overheard Edward and Alastair O'Hara discussing it. The soon-to-be Mrs Callahan is a humble schoolteacher." Ruben chuckled. "Hopefully she won't be devoured by the sharks."

"I'm sure it will provide some entertainment for the bored and dreary."

He watched his younger brother's brows furrow as he thought. "What happened to Rita Callahan? I know it was a tragedy."

"Hit and run." He took a drag from his cigarette whorls of smoke hid his face as he looked out the window. "Officially."