Chapter 3: Hello, Princess

Despite Chessie's dire warning that I'd see more of Dante Romano, I'd heard nothing from him in the nine days between the charity ball and the first day of school. And, really, if he'd heard everything, I wasn't surprised. No man like that wants a 25-year-old amateur in his bed. It was for the best; I was starting a new job and I needed to focus on that, not on a man so far out of my league that he would spell certain heartache.

So I pushed all thoughts of him aside, worked on prepping my classroom and getting my lesson plans finalized and suddenly I was waiting in my classroom for my twelve students to enter.

I loved third grade. To me, something seemed to finally click on in eight-year-olds, some new awareness of themselves as independent creatures who had opinions and problem-solving abilities. They were coming into their own and, as their teacher, I would be able to guide them and inspire them. To me, third-grade was a critical year.

At quarter to nine, the children and their parents started walking in, dressed in perfect new uniforms, carrying new backpacks, everything bright and shiny. Most had two parents with them – Wellington Academy students were from families who took education seriously – but some only had one. From those students, I always heard the same thing: Mommy's in surgery or Daddy's listening to a case. Without exception, these children's parents were all high-powered, career people. I would be shocked if any of the parents were stay-at-homes.

My last student walked in at five minutes to nine, a dark-haired boy with huge brown eyes. For a minute I thought he was walking in alone, but soon a woman and a man followed.

And my heart seized.

Dante Romano.

Quickly blanking my face, I pasted on a bright smile and turned to greet them. The woman held out her hand and introduced herself as Emmanuelle Romano. "I'm Luc's mother," she said, a bit coldly.

"Nice to meet you," I said, trying not to let my disappointment show, and decided to focus on the adorable little boy in front of me.

"I'm Luc," he piped up holding his hand out to me to shake, a wide smile on his face.

Charmed, I replied, "I'm Miss Case. It's nice to meet you, Luc." We shook hands solemnly.

"You're pretty," he said to me and – dammit! – I could feel my blush start to crawl up my neck.

"Well, thank you, Luc. You can go put your backpack in your cubby – your name is already on it – and then you can go find your seat."

When he ran off, his mother following behind, I turned back to Dante, my face carefully blank. "And you must be Luc's –"

"Uncle," he said smoothly, a gleam in his eye. He knew who I had assumed he was and from the look on his face, he had an idea of what my thoughts had been.

"I thought you were going to say dragon," I lied.

His smile turned megawatt as he held out his hand for me to shake. "Dante Romano," he introduced himself officially.

And speaking of dragons...the dean of our school, Kadence Jericho, walked into my classroom and practically froze when she saw who was still holding on to my hand.

Recovering quickly, she sidled up to Dante and put a hand on his forearm. "Mr. Romano, it's so good to see you. I hope your summer was good?"

"It was fine," he said, letting go of my hand as he spared her a brief glance before returning his attention to me. "I'll go say good-bye to my nephew so my sister and I can get out of your way."

I nodded, saying nothing and as soon as he walked away, Dean Jericho shot me a glance that should have incinerated me. "In the unlikely event you're contemplating pursuing anything with him, just know it's against policy to get involved with the parents or guardians of any students in your class."