65. the battle's in your hands now

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

chapter sixty-five

chapter sixty-five. ☄︎. *. ⋆

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

IT FELT LIKE A LIFETIME that he was gone, and I was afraid he was never going to make it back. But it was as the sun just began to set over the horizon that Percy's silhouette crested the hill, running at top speed.

The deck was set up for a party. Streamers and balloons decorated the railing. Geryon was at the grill, cooking barbecue to go along with the delicious taste of selling me and my friends to the Titan army. He wore an apron on every chest, with one word on each, so together they spelled out: KISS— THE—CHEF. Eurytion lounged at a picnic table, picking his fingernails with a knife. The two-headed dog sniffed the ribs and burgers that were frying on the grill. Grover, Tyson, Nico, and I were tied up in the corner, my ankles and wrists bound and mouth gagged. Now let me tell you—this wasn't my first rodeo. I'd been tied up by enemy forces before. But this time was, by far, the most humiliating of them all, simply because of how they had thrown us all together down in the corner. Tyson's hair was right in my face Grover's head was dangerously close to my chest, and he was making a very clear effort not to look directly at it. Nico's feet were shoved in Tyson's gut.

It was right before Percy arrived that I began to wonder how bad being sold to Luke's army could have been, compared to this. Nothing could've possibly been worse than a satyr's face in your boobs for hours on end. And it wasn't even like he could move his head, because Nico was sitting on his back.

"Let them go!" Percy's voice called across the deck, and he appeared at the top of the steps. "I cleaned the stables!"

Geryon turned, a burger perching on his spatula. "Did you, now? How'd you manage it?"

I could tell Percy was already pretty impatient, but he told him all about how he'd managed to summon water that had resided in the area, long ago in ancient times. Under different circumstances, it would've been pretty cool.

Geryon nodded appreciatively. "Very ingenious. It would've been better if you'd died, but no matter."

"Let my friends go," Percy said. "We had a deal."

"Ah, I've been thinking about that. The problem is, if I let them go, I don't get paid."

"You promised!"

Geryon made a tsk-tsk noise. "But did you make me swear on the River Styx? No you didn't. So it's not binding. When you're conducting business, sonny, you should always get a binding oath."

Percy drew his sword. Next to us, Orthus growled. One head leaned down next to Grover's ear and bared its fangs.

"Eurytion," Geryon said, "the boy is starting to annoy me. Kill him."