54. there's a heart on your sleeve

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

chapter fifty-four ☄︎

chapter fifty-four ☄︎. *. ⋆

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

I DON'T KNOW if you've ever been to an Olympian party, but if you have the choice to, go.

The Nine Muses cranked up the tunes, and I realized the music was whatever you wanted it to be: the gods could listen to classical and the younger demigods heard pop or whatever, and it was all the same sound track. No arguments. No fights to change the radio station. Just requests to crank it up.

Dionysus went around growing refreshment stands out of the ground, and a beautiful woman walked with him arm in arm—his wife, Ariadne. Mr. D looked happy for the first time. Nectar and ambrosia overflowed from golden fountains, and platters of mortal snack food crowded the banquet tables. Golden goblets filled with whatever drink you wanted. Grover trotted around with a full plate of tin cans and enchiladas, and his goblet was full of double-espresso latte, which he kept muttering over like an incantation: "Pan! Pan! Pan!"

Gods kept coming over to congratulate me. Thankfully, they had reduced themselves to human size, so they didn't accidentally trample partygoers under their feet. Most of the twelve major Olympians stopped by, but I didn't hear from Aphrodite, Ares, or even my own father. The first two didn't surprise me. And, the more I thought about it, neither did my father. But I did see him chatting with a somewhat pale-faced Percy.

Hermes started talking to me. He was incredibly cheerful. I doubted he knew what had happened to Luke, but he was in such a good mood that I decided I didn't need to be the one to tell him.

Inevitably, Hermes brought up my relationship with Connor.

"So," he said, all casual-like. "I hear you and one of my sons are going steady."

I could imagine the cringe on Connor's face if he'd been there. I managed a half-smile and lowered my head like I was blushing. "You know what they say," I said, but I had no clue what I was talking about. I made up an old saying on the spot: "'When the.. demigod fits, you... um, you know.'"

Hermes nodded like he knew exactly what I was saying. "I do love that saying," he said, beaming. But he quickly dropped his smile and leaned in, gesturing for me to do the same, so I did. He said, "But something I don't love? Losing bets."

I frowned. "Um... what?"

"Demeter and I have one going," he said, waving a hand dismissively. "On our kids. I bet four cities and a constellation that Connor'd end up with Katie Gardner. 'Meter bet against, said Connor and you are going to get married and live together forever. Frankly, I don't like losing, and I like Demeter even less. Do me a favor and break things off, kid. Okay?"