CHAPTER 55. Say Goodbye First

Start from the beginning

I bit my lip. "Where's Cross and Lion?" River paused for a brief moment.

"Cross is in his room, Lion is in the library," River told me. I frowned.

"Fin and Fallon?" I asked fearfully.

"In the library as well, working on a puzzle together," River explained, sounding pained. I lifted my head and looked at Nicholas.

"My phone, can I call Faith? Where is it? Can you call her?" My voice edged near panic as I realized I hadn't seen the blond in two days.

"I'll call her," Nicholas agreed with a small nod. I touched River's smooth cheek and met his gaze.

"Can we check the library? Just to make sure?" I asked, and River nodded. I turned my head and looked at Nicholas and Dune.

"Are you going to move?" I asked softly and they both glanced at each other before shaking their heads.

"No, we'll stay here," Dune told me finally. River turned set me on my feet, moving towards the steps. I reached in front of me, grabbing his hand as my bottom foot touched the first step.

I stared at his back as we went up two flights of stairs, River opening the odd circular door that hid the library. "Lion? Fin, Fallon?" I called, squeezing River's hand as I saw the three of them right away.

Lion was sitting on a ladder attached to shelves, a ladder I would sit on myself and ride all the way around the room, knocking over books and falling off in the end when I was younger.

Fin and Fallon were sitting beside a large table, putting together a massive puzzle. The three of them looked up the moment I called their names and I gazed at them with big eyes.

"Raven wanted to make sure everyone is here," River said slowly and ruffled my hair. "So make sure you tell her if you move, okay?"

Lion raised an eyebrow, looking at me confused, shutting the book his was reading. "Okay, will do,"

I glanced at Fin and Fallon. "We'll probably be in here all day," Fin told me, picking up a puzzle piece and frowning at it.

"But tell me when you move," I said in a rushed tone and turned towards the door. "Let's find Cross," I told River, who followed me out the door I purposely left open.

I knocked on his door and waited anxiously when I didn't hear movement. Then, like air after being under a wave, Cross opened the door.

"Raven- and River," Cross mused and paused, knowing something was wrong instantly. "What's wrong, princess?"

I hesitantly let go of River's hand to jump up and hug Cross, who caught me with an air of surprise. "She was making sure she knew where you were," River told Cross, sounding weary.

"Here I am," Cross told me, trying to put me down- but I didn't want him too. I tightened my hold and closed my eyes, taking a moment to memorize the feel of his arms around me.

"Cross, don't hate me," I told him and Cross gazed at River as I spoke.

"I promise," he told me easily. I touched my forehead to his shoulder and sucked in a breath.

"Don't ignore me either," I whispered and held my arms around his neck.

"River," Cross's voice sounded off, so I lifted my head, meeting his eyes, to make sure he wasn't angry at my request.

"We'll all talk later, now... isn't the time, when she's asleep," River murmured. "Raven, do you want something to eat? It's lunch time,"

I shook my head as Cross slowly set me down, and this time I allowed it. River frowned and I looked away from his disapproving face, flinching. "I know," Cross placed his hands on my shoulders and led me towards the stairs. "Why don't we see if Dune will make hot chocolate, that would make you happy, wouldn't it? I think Dune would like to see you drink some," Cross said and took my hand, meeting my gaze.

I nodded and looked back at River. "Coming?" I asked and River nodded.

"Yes, I'm following, lead the way," he told me, running a hand down his face. He looks upset with me...

"River-" I paused, River suddenly giving me a kind smile. Not mad at me,

"Come on princess, River's following us," Cross told me and lifted me up and set me down at the bottom of the stairs, helping me down the second set of steps.

I looked into the living room and was relieved to see Dune and Nicholas right where I left them. "Faith is okay?"

Nicholas nodded. "Yes, she can come over tomorrow, is that okay?"

I nodded and gazed shyly at Dune. "C-can... can..." I paused and looked at the ground. "Can you make hot chocolate?"

Dune stood and nodded. "Of course I can," he agreed and Cross gazed down at me. I followed Dune, making sure River and Cross were coming too.

I hopped up on the counter and watched Dune go to work in making the drink like no one else could. I studied them anxiously, they seemed nervous and worried.

Are they still angry about Aaron? I held hands in my lap tightly and bit my lip. "Don't leave me," I couldn't stop the words from leaving me, eyes watering.

Cross placed his palm on my cheek and I leaned into his hand. "No one is leaving you," he promised.

I looked at River and he did his best to hide the growing sorrow rising in him. "I love you Raven," River told me softly.

Dune walked with a steaming cup, which I accepted and held with both hands. "Right here," he brushed hair from my face. "And I'm not moving,"