[2] Our Present

"A famous actor, Arata Mackenyu's body was finally found after being missing for over a year now. Many believed it was not his body but the forensics themselves had confirmed the news. Now we-"

The tv was turned off as the viewer himself was not in a good mood. His face was pale due to sleep deprived and he was getting skinnier as he wasn't been eating well. The person who was watching the tv was Maeda Gordon, the top student in senior high school. Everything went downhill a year ago where his brother went missing without a trace. Even if he said that the body was not his brother, who would people believe more?

The senior investigator or the infamous new actor?

He was getting worst day by day knowing he, himself can't handle the big case alone. He needed other people to help him. He nedeed friends in which he neglected during his high school years. He knew where each one of them are as one of them still contacted him. She was the one who gave information to him but he knew he can't solve it with only two of them. It was practically useless. His ego was lessened day by day to go and find them but his thoughts kept helding him back.

A few days ago, he met Sora alongside his manager, Takumi when he was called to go to see his so called brother. Apparently, Sora's team was in charge of the case but due to the higher ups wanting to close the case, she couldn't investigate deeper.

"I need to talk to you, Sora." Maeda called her out, sounded desperate when they went out of the mortuary. "It's Hayama san to you, Maeda." She warns him as he simply nods. They stood in front of each other and Sora started talking again.

"If you want to tell me that the body is not Arata san, then save your saliva. I already know that." When he heard what Sora had said, he was in disbelieved. He stared at her eyes showing every bit of anger in which she clearly noticed. "Yet. You. Didn't. Do. Anything. About. It." He He emphasized on every word he had said earning rolled eyes from Sora.

"There you go again. You'll never stop blaming people, Maeda. I'm trying to find clues about him but I've got very little to nowhere. If you're hiding something from the police, I won't hesitate to let you visit the nearest prison we've got."

"What if we work... together?" He suggested making her burst into laughter. His manager Takumi were quiet the whole time as he didn't know what their past relationship were. "Maeda, you've gone dumb over the years, haven't you?"

"I'm serious, Sora." Maeda looked at her with desperation. "And who says I'm joking about what I've said?" Sora smirked at him and just when Maeda wanted to talk again, her phone rings.

"Hurmm? I'll be there soon. I'll tell you the details later. Meet you there." Sora ends the call and looks back at him. "Yuki, huh?" He noticed his name on her phone in which she then turns it off and puts it back in her pocket. "I heard he's working in your team. He'll be pretty useful if we all worked together."

"If you ever decided to influence him in any way, I'll deal with you for real, Maeda. Don't make him get involved in any of our past. I won't hesitate to lose my job by killing you." Sora held back her punches from him as he was the one smirking now. "Trust me, I won't but I do know that if I got your agreement, I'll definitely have a chance to work with him as well."

"Piss off, Maeda. I'll never agree working with you." Sora turned around and walks away. "If it's 5 against 1, you don't really have a say, do you?"

She knew he was referring to her friends. If Shiko chan still contacted him then, Hayato kun, Chiko chan and Yoshi kun might agree working with him for Arata san. She knew Yuki would follow her but if Yoshi kun agrees... then he might be against her desicion. She investigates alone because she didn't want to risk her friend's lives. They are everything to her and she couldn't bare to accept the pain if they are hurt.

Then again, each and everyone of them liked Arata san. They would probably do everything to search for him. Sora decided to ignores Maeda and drives back to the police station. She met with Yuki and told him everything, except the part where Maeda said that they might turn against her. He listens to her while doing their reports on the case.

"I've talked to the chief, he doesn't allow us to dig in the case anymore." Yuki said which made her raised one of her eyebrows. "Since when did you become a part of this? I've told you that I don't want you to get into trouble because of me."

"Why not? It's fun disobeying some rules." Yuki chuckles but Sora scrunched up her face, thinking about the low possibilities of getting more clues to the case. "I'm serious, Yuki. I think this case... is more about-"

Her sentence was cut off when Yuki presses a cold can to her cheeks. "It's cold, Yuki!" She flinched before smacking him in his hand. He shows off his big smile and chuckles before opening the can for her. "Stop stressing, Sora. You look ridiculous. Have a drink."

She sighed as she knew she couldn't stay in a serious mood for long with him around. She smiled and thanked the man beside her. She drank it and felt relieved because of the coldness it had. "Thanks, Yuki." He nodded and they finished their report together. The report was quite long so they work over time together with their team.

After a few days, they decided to visit their friend's restaurant for lunch. "Hayato kun!" Yuki shouted and waved his hand as he saw friend while Sora covers her face to avoid eye contact from strangers who were giving them weird looks because Yuki was being loud. Yuki grabs her hand and pulls her with him to greet their friend together.

Sora felt embarassed yet she couldn't possibly say no, to whatever Yuki was up too. "You're being loud Yuki kun." They hugged each other and sat down.

"Where's Chiko chan, Ryo kun and Shiko chan?" Sora asked while looking at the menu. "Hoshiko chan went to the bathroom. Ryo kun and Chiko chan are on their way." Hayato explained as she nods. "Don't tell me that their dating first then come here?" Sora asked in which Hayato smiled and shrugged.

Yuki was occupied with his phone when Hoshiko came and sat down next to Sora. "Shiko chan! Nice to meet you again~ I've missed you so much Ms. Lawyer." Hoshiko blushed as she denies the compliment. "I'm still in training, Sora chan."

"Yeah you and your humbleness." Sora teased making her laugh as she herself looks at the menu. Hayato recommended their special ramen and they have decided that they will try the sushi as well.

The three of them had come to conclusion and was about to call a waitress when Yuki exclaimed "Aha! See, you're right! They went on a date!" Yuki showed her Echiko's IG story as she shakes her head at his behaviour.

"Yuki, I've ordered for you since you were apparently busy finding evidence." Sora chuckles making all of them laughed as well. "It took a while since my line was bad. By the way, hi hoshiko chan!" He waved at her excitedly as if she's a mile away. "Hi Yuki kun. I'm glad you noticed me for once."

"How could I not? My friend is the greatest lawyer in Japan!" Hoshiko was taken aback by the compliment and thanked him for that. "I just thought your eyes were only on Sora. I'm glad I caught your attention from time to time."

Her sentence made both Yuki and Sora blushed in which Yuki tried hiding it by changing the topic and Sora drank the water in front of her. "A-Anyways, I wonder when our food is coming. I'm hungry after staying at work late, last night."

"It's coming out soon. I try to make sure every worker of mine is efficient around here." Hayato calmed his hungry friend as the girls chuckled. "Congratulations again on the opening of your new restaurant, Hayato kun. It looks great now with customers all around." Sora complimented her friend's hard work.

"I've got to thank you guys for funding as well. Without all of you, it will probably take me another 2 years to assemble the restaurant." He said as they all denied their help.

"We've arrived, people!" A familiar voice called out to them as Sora and Hoshiko stood up from her seat and hugged their best friend.

"What took you so long, Echiko chan?" Hoshiko asked as the girl shyly replies "Sorry, I went out shopping for supplies with Ryo."

"More like dating" Sora teased as she looks at the couple. "Now come and sit down. We've ordered food for all of us." As all of them were busy enjoying lunch, two pair of eyes were watching from outside the restaurant, waiting for the group to go out.

[1575 words]