₀₀₄

𝘞𝘙𝘌𝘕 𝘑𝘈𝘔𝘌𝘚

FUCK MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE. I fumble with my keys as I unlock my apartment door. When I push it open, Puff is perched on top of the counter. Waiting patiently for me to pet her. I place my jacket and bag on the stool and slip off my shoes.

Puff's ears flutter as I get closer to her. I grab a water from the fridge and make my way to the couch. I flop down onto it and a second later a light weight is laid on my chest. I bring my hand to Puff's little head and she purrs in contentment.

I wish I had someone to pet me and scratch behind my ears after a long day. Instead I have stacks and stacks of papers to look through. Because yeah, Fernando didn't minimize my work load, just added to it.

Maxine, Fernando's assistant, sent me papers and when I asked her if she could split it and give the other half to Rhys, she said no. I swear I actually had to grip the edge of my desk or I would have lunged for her and ripped the tacky pink bow out of her hair.

Sensing my distress, Puff nuzzles herself in the crook of my neck. Her soft fur soothing my blazing body temperature. I wish I could stay here forever. Cuddled up with my cat, not worrying about anything else in the world.

I wish I had Puff when I needed her most. When I was so drunk out of my mind, I would've done anything anyone told me to. When i'd wake up cold and alone on a subway bench, or under the bridge. I had only gotten her about ten months ago, a couple months after I had straightened that shit out.

I wish i had Puff when I was younger. When i'd sit in the corner of my brothers closet and wait until my mom and the weird men she'd bring home would go to sleep. When i'd come home holding in tears after being picked on about my clothes that day at school. When I spent that whole day defending my best friend, and not myself.

When I just needed someone to hug.

I roll my eyes at my own self pity. I'm not nine anymore. I'm not stupid anymore. Not useless.

I rub my head and look at the clock on the wall. Maxine said Fernando reserved a table at 'La Lavanda', and wanted both me and Rhys to attend. By ourselves, to discuss more about the project on our own.

I needed to be there by seven. It was five thirty-six. Meaning I still had time to get ready. The restaurant wasn't ball gown fancy, but if I showed up in my skirt and blouse i'd certainly get some stares.

Picking up Puff, we made our way into my bedroom. I walked over to my closet and skimmed the dresses. Puff snuggled into my side as I contemplated a green or black dress. I went with the black one.

__________

At six forty-five I was already waiting for my...partner, to arrive. The restaurant wasn't packed but there was a line outside. Lucky I had a reservation. And I was going to eat all of the food I wanted because it was all going on Mr. Martin's tab.

I check my phone and walked up to the line of people outside. The more I think about it, the more I realize I should've brought a coat.

I've only been at 'La Lavanda' once before tonight. Last year at a charity event, and I hardly remember half of it. But I do remember it was the night I turned my passion into hate and my hate into nothing. I would be left an empty canvas after that night. And I remember the conversation I had with...someone that started that vicious cycle.

"You do realize this is a work event, don't you?" He said into my ear, his voice low and almost disgusted.

"Do you realize I don't care?" I took another sip of my...second drink? Or was it the tenth? Something like that.

"Well I do." Just when I thought he'd say something about caring for me, he scoffed. "You're eyes are glazed over, you'd fall to the ground if it weren't for the counter you're holding onto. You're so-" He licked his lips agitatedly before he continued. "You're immature and unprofessional. Y'know I was actually thinking you'd give me a run for my money with the new position, but now it's clear there's no competition at all. You'll always be nothing." He ran a hand across his jaw.

Fire flamed in my chest. It wasn't hurt, I was past feeling emotions especially hurt. It was something else I couldn't quite place.

But he wasn't done.

"Promise me this Wren." That was the only time he used my first name. Ever. "Whenever you think about me, remember this night. Remember the words I said to you. And remember, you and I are completely different." He motioned to my slumping state.

I was about to retaliate when a girl in a purple dress came up to us and scowled at me, then took his arm and walked off. Leaving me to soak in the harsh words.

I stumbled outside the restaurant. The cold wind whipping at my face. As I walked, it felt like I was dragging around a heavy emotion. And I swear i'd change. I would never be like my mother. I would be seen as mature and professional. And I would be seen as competition.

It was that same month that I stopped drinking. I stopped feeling that heavy emotion. I had stopped feeling any emotion. And I started hating Rhys Moore with all the passion I had left.

____________________