If only communication was a thing

Title: if only communication was a thing (if anyone has a better title please tell me cause I can't name these chapters)
Requested: no
Separate/ Eternity/ either: separate
Triggers: mentions of postpartum depression
extra information: this one was inspired by a chapter in Wanna Bet by FanfictionWriterSEK  who gave me their permission to write this lol

Announcement at the end ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlie’s Pov:
I loved my job, I really did. But sometimes it got in the way of things that were more important.

Well, the single thing that was more important.

My daughter Aurora, or Rory as we all call her comes first in my life. Way before anything or anyone else.

“It’s okay, I understand.” I spoke on the phone to Bill. “Thank you anyway.”

He kept apologising to me but I assured him that it was fine and I would think of something. It was my day off but the reserve was extremely short staffed and needed me to come in for an hour or two.

Even though I wanted to spend today with Rory, I still agreed to go in, Thinking I would be able to get someone to watch her at the last minute but just my luck no one could.

“Rory.” I called her name as I made my way into her room. She was sitting on the green rug, playing with the toy farm mum and dad had gotten her for christmas. “You need to come with me to work for a little while, okay? We can put a few toys and snacks in your bag.” I said.

She rose to her feet excitedly. “Will I get to meet y/n?” She asked.

At first, when it was just me and Rory, I struggled to remember that she was constantly listening even when she was playing with her toys. I got a reminder of this when she picked up on a few swear words a couple of months ago but recently I had been talking about y/n to Bill and some other friends.

Apparently more than I thought I was.

Y/n was a woman a year or two younger than me. Her great aunt and uncle own the reserve and she helps them run it in hopes to take over one day.

She was the definition of beauty. Inside and out. She was funny and so intelligent. I had never met a person so infatuating.

With a small smile I shook my head and crouched down to Rory’s level. “Probably not, sweetheart. Y/n is probably taking care of other dragons.”

The grin on her face slowly disappeared. For a three, almost four year old she was extremely observant but with that came that she couldn’t keep a secret so I was very glad that y/n probably wouldn’t be there. Rory might accidentally tell her something.

Although I did hate to see my little girl disappointed. “But we can have some McDonald’s for dinner.” I offered and once again the smile found its way back to her small lips.

We put a few snacks and toys into her backpack and filled up her bottle with water before I swung the bag over one shoulder and picked her up.

It wasn’t a long walk to the reserve but if she walked herself it would take a bit more time than we had to spare.

“So you’ll have to stay in the locker room while I’m working. The owner's office is just down the hall so they’ll check on you every few minutes okay?” It wasn’t my favourite idea but I couldn’t think of anything else and I knew Carole and Mervyn were good people who wouldn’t have a problem with it.

Rory nodded her head in response, probably already daydreaming about the chicken nuggets she’ll get later.

Your Pov: