02 | Chapter Two

SLIDING HER KEYCARD through the automated door of her apartment, Foressa closed the door behind her with an affirming click! Only then, alone within the four walls did she let out a weary sigh

  It wasn't anyone's fault. The unassuming internet user had made a — arguably innocent —tweet that had trapped her in an inexorable fate.

  Three years ago, it had been her on the losing end. Now, it would appear she was back to that same immovable position. "Joke's on me — again." She mused bitterly.

  Shuffling towards the couch, she dragged one plush pillow over to her. Simultaneously, she used her free-hand to swipe at her phone screen, dialling the one person she knew could give her objective advice towards her dilemma.

  Following this was an interim of repetitive beeps before the call connected with an abrupt click.

  "Hello?" A soft voice echoed from the other hand, a small yawn unveiling the hints of sleep infused within the tone. Glancing at the clock, Foressa instantly felt a wash of shame roll over her. In her haste, she had completely neglected the differences in time zone.

  "Oh my god, I'm so sorry Lara. It completely slipped my mind to check the time before ringing you," contriteness was evident in Foressa's tone.

  Lara Tang was a Chinese-descendant who hailed from Malaysia, a small country located in the south east of Asia. She had immigrated to Oaksville at the tender age of twelve, meeting Foressa at their esteemed boarding school. The pair were still tightly-knit eight years down the road, more so after Foressa's debut had seen an eruption of artificial friends and fracturing of others.

  For the last three years, Lara had been studying in New Zealand. Though it may have been the morning for Foressa, it was almost close to midnight for Lara. It was highly probable the former had inadvertently woken her up.

  "Go back to sleep, I'll call you later." She rushed out the words, preparing herself to end the call.

  "Hey, it's not a problem at all. I'll accept any call from my favourite music artist, no matter the time." Lara reassured in a firmer voice, the sleepiness present in her voice earlier slowly but surely dissipating.

  "How's New Zealand treating you?" Foressa engaged in idle chatter, not wanting to immediately commence forth with a rather sensitive topic for the both of them. Lara indulged her.

  "For one, freakishly cold. At this rate, even Los Angeles weather would be better than this."

  "Careful what you wish for," Foressa warned. "It's equally as frigid here. Temperatures are around the range of single digits."

  "Essa, mine's predicted to drop to the negatives. I'm quite expectant of myself to come out as an ice-block by the end of winter!" Lara exclaimed indignantly, eliciting bursts of laughter from Foressa.