vii | always wear red

Start from the beginning

♕♕♕

"Fancy seeing you here, husband," I greeted Jace, plastering a fake smile onto my face.

He raised a singular, perfectly shaped eyebrow at my new nickname for him. "I don't recall attending the wedding, vixen."

"Would you prefer 'fiancé'?"

"I would prefer my name."

I scrunched up my nose in fake pity. "Too bad. Also, you need to find a new nickname. I don't believe the media—or our families, for that matter—would find 'vixen' to be particularly agreeable."

Pinching the bridge of his nose, he murmured something in another language under his breath. I took this time to look him up and down, feeling—I hate to say it—flustered by his clean appearance. The black dress shirt under his navy-blue blazer had me cursing whoever made these outfits.

Why the hell were they so fitted?

The top button was open, giving me a brief peep at the gold chain he always seemed to have on. His dress pants match the blazer, but the color was the least of my problems. I had to remind myself to keep my mouth closed at the size of his thighs. I don't know how I missed it earlier, but he could crush my head with those.

The thought of my head between his legs sent forbidden images into my head that I was desperate to shake out. There is no way that I would be going into the room with those rabid press, horny out of my mind.

On the other hand, my outfit was slightly on the dramatic side. It was an almost all-black ensemble. Well, it would've been if Vivi didn't give me an incredulous look before pushing me back to my room.

It was symbolic, in a sense.

The funeral of my freedom and independence.

The funeral of his sanity.

But, alas, my outfit was reduced to a black blazer, a black satin blouse, sheer black tights, black red-bottoms, and a black and white leather mini-skirt. It was still cute, I guess. I mean I looked great and my iconic red-lip did wonders for my confidence.

Still, I was silently mourning the black skirt that was now abandoned on my bed.

I didn't realize how deeply invested I was in my thoughts until Jace cleared his throat, trying to grab my attention. "Anyway, it's nice to see that your state from last night hasn't changed your cheery demeanor, Venus."

The urge to strangle him was not-so-surprisingly high at the tone of his last two words. "You're lucky it's cheerful. I don't think you'd be able to handle my violent side. Especially when it's you I want to be violent towards." I mumbled the last part, but given his expression, I could tell he heard me.

"Refrain from exhibiting this violent side of yours in front of all the cameras, wife." How dare he use my tactics against me? Hearing the word come out of his mouth sent a sense of discomfort down my spine. The same discomfort I was trying to displace onto him.

"Wait," I stopped him, holding my hand up. "Venus? I didn't know you thought so highly of me. I mean calling me the goddess of love, beauty, and sexual desire is such a high compliment, Jace. I'm flattered."

"Don't be," he snorted. "I'm comparing you to the planet with a toxic atmosphere and extreme temperatures that can kill anyone in mere seconds."

The psychotic smile I let out was purely genuine. "That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

"Shut up and walk."

For both of our benefits, I stayed quiet until we reached the door to the conference room. Our fathers were probably already there, answering general questions for the audience.