The Ball (Part 2)

"We have to hide," Lady Irene said, voice quiet.

     "What?" I asked, nerves rising.

     She sighed. "Come on. I can explain to both of you later." 

    "Alright," Aaron said. The two of us followed her through the crowd. I tried to keep a calm demeanor, occasionally smiling at people we passed. Everything would be alright. This could be a small security measure. I was sure I was overthinking everything. Aaron elbowed me gently. I looked up at him, and he had a look on his face that showed it would be alright. 

     "Sorry." I apologized. Part of me was unsure why I was apologizing. 

     "Don't apologize." He shook his head. I nodded wordlessly. 

     "In here." Lady Irene opened a door that seemed somewhat hidden. Aaron let me in first and followed close behind.

     "What is going on?" He asked once the door had been shut. There was hardly any light aside from a candle Lady Irene held.

     "They're here. We're having everyone quietly leave." She explained.

     "We know what they want. Why not give me up?" I asked. I was far too aware of the amount of danger I was causing everyone. I couldn't put together the reason they'd do this. 

      "We took you in to keep you safe. We won't back down from that." Lady Irene assured me. Growing up I was always told people who said they were doing things out of 'the kindness of their hearts' were full of crap. Everyone wants something out of someone. I was just still stuck on what they wanted. 

     "You overthink things too much," Aaron said as if he could read my mind. 

     "I know," I responded. He sat down on a bench along the edge of the room.

     "We can't just wait them out." He sighed.

     "What would our other option be?" She asked.

     "I can fight." He suggested.

     "Absolutely not." She shut him down without a thought.

     "Why not?" He asked. "I've done it before."

     "We can't risk that. Not right now." She seemed frustrated.

     "We could. With a strong enough Batallion, I could take down whatever they throw at me." Aaron shrugged. A silence fell over us. I could tell she was considering this. I had heard of his abilities when it came to fighting. He was one the guards from home feared. He fought with rage beyond what most could imagine. 

     "Don't get yourself killed." Her voice was quiet. "I'll get you your regular group and weaponry." 

     "Thank you." He stood up and stretched his back. 

     "You better not die for me." I walked up to him. 

     He smirked. "I'll die for myself."