Twenty One - "I can't say no."

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, it's a beautiful spot but it's freezing in here," he complained when he called me that evening, "I'm not really fond of skiing, I'm more of a beach person."

"I know. Just try, for your brother's sake. Consider it as your bonding also."

"I would rather bond with you," his voice went sensual, "when I get back, we'll go to Florida. We'll celebrate our anniversary there."

"I can't wait," I giggled, "I should go bikini shopping this weekend."

"I'll go with you," he teased, "you'll be needing my opinion."

We laughed and continued talking for an hour.

"I have to sleep now. We have to be early tomorrow, we're going to the peak of the mountain."

"Be careful, okay? I know there are plenty of steeps, moguls and glades there."

"Don't worry. I'll be at the beginner's slope, and an instructor will be with me."

"But still, be very careful," I said, then almost in a whisper, in my sleepy voice, "I love you so much, Jacob."

"I love you more, my Pia-pie. Dream of me," he whispered back, then we hung up.

The following day, I was in my history class, just finished taking a major exam, when I received a call from Ronnie.

"Pia..." his voice broke, he was sobbing.

"What's going on, Ronnie? Where's Jacob?" I was trying to keep calm, despite the cold shiver that ran all throughout my body.

"We're in the emergency room, and... and..." he was finding it hard to speak.

"What the hell, Ronnie! Tell me what's going on. Where's Jacob?" My heart was hammering hard, afraid of what he was going to say.

"Jacob lost his balance, his head hit a rock. And now, he's bleeding profusely, Oh God, I'm so sorry Pia... he's... he's dying..."

__________

"Hey, are you okay?"

My mind returned to the present. I turned to Jean who continued to look at me with an odd expression.

I was in the living room, cleaning the corner table with a rug.

"Yeah, I'm good," I smiled at her.

"Seems like you were on the moon."

"Oh, I just remembered something," I transferred to the center table, "why? Do you need anything?"

"It's the boss. He's having a dinner party this coming Friday, and he wants you to organize it."

"For how many guests?"

"Five. If you include the master, you prepare for six," she informed.

"Good for six would be easy," I nodded.

I'm good with designing the table. I had done it many times during my parents' dinner parties.

"I'll take care of the food, while you do the other stuff, like the dinner table, plates, utensils, decorations and so on."

"No worries. I had many experiences with that, " I answered her confidently.

"I'm sure you do. Calliope wouldn't hire you if you're not capable," she nodded, "by the way, the master has a very strict instruction. He said that you have to be there when the guests arrive."

"What do you mean?" my forehead furrowed.

"You're going to welcome them, and maybe play hostess."

"A hostess? Why would I do that? I'm the maid."

"I wonder also. But that's his instruction, we cannot contradict that," she nodded slowly, trying to make me understand, "and he wants you to dine with them too."

"Dine with the guests?" My mouth dropped open.

"Yes. So, you have to doll up and look very pretty," her eyes were teasing, "maybe he has a middle-aged guest that he wants to set you up with."

"No way, Jean! That's a ridiculous idea."

"I can't think of any reason, actually. I just wonder why you're joining them for dinner."

I got puzzled too. But I assured Jean, I agreed. I would be joining Mr. Stavrakos and the guests at the dinner party.

Wednesday evening came, and I haven't seen much of Kristov Stavrakos.

In the morning, I served him breakfast, but he would not even bother to look at me. I wanted to ask him about the dinner party, but did not have the nerve to. I kept on saying... I'll ask him tomorrow.

In the evenings, he often came home late at night. I could only hear from the helicopter at midnight that he already arrived.

I was getting ready to bed, when Kimberly called.

"Mom wants to talk to you. She said it's very important," she stated firmly, like there was a life and death situation, "here's mom."

Mrs. Park and I exchanged pleasantries, then she said in a bright tone.

"I have a favor to ask you, Pia. It would mean a lot if you can help us with this."

"Of course, Mrs. Park. Anything I can do to help, it would be an honor."

"Thank you. This is not too much though, but it would mean a lot for us, especially for my husband."

"What is it, Mrs. Park?" I got curious.

"My husband is really desperate for Mr. Kristov Stavrakos to invest more in our telecommunication company. Joon is trying his best to sell him more stocks but Mr. Stavrakos could not be swayed anymore."

The mention of Kristov Stavrakos perked my ears up.

"How can I help?"

"Mr. Stavrakos invited us for dinner this coming Friday in his house," Mrs. Park stated.

The dinner on Friday. I almost forgot about it. So the Parks were part of the five guests.

I listened as she continued.

"He also invited Kimberly, and... you."

"Me?" I was really surprised. Why include me?

"Yes. Pia. Mr. Stavrakos requested your presence. My husband would consider it a very huge favor from you if you could come with us."

That ruthless beast. I rejected his invitation and now, he's using the Parks! What a manipulative jerk!

But the Parks... They were like my family. They've been so kind and caring to me, for many years.

I could not disappoint Mister Park. I remember, he helped me accomplish my thesis, by introducing me to his scientist friend to get respondents. He represented me as my parent when I received my academic awards, because dad was at work, and mom did not want to travel far alone. He sponsored my Clean and Green Environment Drive and other things.

"Please say yes, Pia," she almost begged.

"Okay, Mrs. Park. I'll be there," I answered, without giving much thought anymore.

"Thank you, Pia. I know we can count on you. Joon will be so happy," her tone brightened, "see you on Friday, dear."

We hung up the phone, and I stared at the ceiling, thinking of what to wear on Friday. Maybe... a black dress?

Black dress.

I sat up abruptly, my eyes widened so big. Realization suddenly hit me.

Oh no... I could not be Olympia and Pia at the same time!

What am I gonna do?