Twenty-Two

In order to distract myself from the overwhelming thoughts about my newly changing relationship with my Uncle Dave, I try my best to concentrate solely on Grandpa Jones and making him feel at home in his new environment. He seems to be adjusting relatively easily, but there's an aching in my heart that insists I do everything within my power to make him as comfortable as possible. If this is where he'll live out the rest of his days, then I'd at least like them to be enjoyable ones for him.

Upon Grandpa's consistent pestering, we head out to explore the small town, making sure to bundle up for the cold weather. I had been reluctant at first to take him out of the house for such a strenuous activity as walking in his condition, but he quickly shushed my worries; although, I only agreed after insisting that we bring the wheelchair along in the event he needs to rest his legs, as he has been perceptibly weaker than usual lately. As much as awkwardly dragging a chair everywhere we go could be viewed as a burden to some, I can't bring myself to feel such a way; I'd do just about anything for this man, and therefore, there's nothing about him that could ever be seen as a burden in my eyes. Not after everything he has done for me.

The two of us walk slowly through the town, taking in the sights, and I can't help but feel a warmth in my chest as I watch Grandpa's eyes excitedly graze over everything we pass by. Having always lived in such a large city, it likely wasn't often he could experience the quietness and beauty of a small town such as this one. Grandpa's wrinkled and shaky hand remains wrapped around my arm as I push the empty chair, keeping my pace steady with his sometimes wobbling legs. It's a surprisingly warm day for winter here, which I'm quite thankful for, as there was absolutely no way this man was going to let me bow out of guiding him around. I suppose that fresh air and some exercise could do anyone good, but Grandpa Jones looks as if he is thoroughly enjoying our little excursion. I can't imagine a more heartwarming sight at the moment than the beaming smile on his face and the glimmer of peace within his eyes.

Seeing the contentment on his face warms me from the inside.

As we walk, I take notice of several townspeople watching the two of us, obviously gossiping about things they don't understand. Things they couldn't possibly understand because they weren't the ones who had to live through them. And I find myself feeling somewhat thankful for that; the horrors of my past aren't something I'd wish upon anyone. It's not as if these gossipers are trying to be secretive about it, though, with their blatant staring and not-so-hushed whispers that are hardly concealed by the hands blocking my view of their mouths. Honestly, it makes their rumor spreading that much more apparent. Also, I can literally feel the judgment in their eyes as they burn into my face; however, I force myself to rise above it. I won't react and give them the show they're evidently looking for or a single thing more to talk about behind my back. No, it's much better if I simply ignore them entirely.

Carefully patting my arm, Grandpa draws my attention away from the small groups of people and says, "You shouldn't worry yourself about the gossip, Katie. Clearly, no one ever taught these people common decency; it's something quite typical for some small towns. Their lack of manners and respect says a lot about their character and very little about you."

I can't stop my lips from curling upward at his words; this is just one of the many reasons I'm so grateful for this man's very existence. "Thank you, Grandpa," I reply, placing my hand over his on my arm and giving it a gentle squeeze. "It seems that nothing has really changed here in the five years I've been gone."

Giving a slow nod of his head, he says, "That's just human nature, I'm afraid. It's so easy to judge someone without knowing them that most people don't even bother to go through the trouble of seeing past appearances. They certainly are missing out, in this case."

"Yeah, you are pretty great," I tell him, smiling sincerely at him, even though I fully understand that he wasn't speaking about himself.

"I was talking about you," he chuckles, rolling his eyes at me before giving my arm another pat.

After finally convincing Grandpa Jones to take a break from walking, I carefully help the tired and weary old man into his wheelchair and drape a blanket over his legs in an effort to keep him warm. Deciding that we've done enough exploring for the day, I inform him that it's probably time to head home, making up some excuse about how lunch is calling my name and drawing another hearty laugh from him. As I turn in the direction to return to our house, hoping to get the elderly man back before he can catch a cold, a friendly voice calls my name.

"Lexi!"

Glancing over my shoulder, I see Levi hurrying toward us, the buttons of his coat undone and the lapels flapping with his movements; he'd obviously been in a hurry when he left the house this morning. I can't hold back my smile when I say, "Hey, Levi." The grin I receive in return is warm and genuine, crinkling the corners of Levi's eyes and filling my heart with joy in a way previously unknown to me. "Levi, this is Grandpa Jones. Grandpa, this is my... friend, Levi," I introduce, my face warming as I refer to Levi as my "friend," while a part of me wishes I could have said he was so much more than that.

Once the two newly introduced men greet each other properly, Levi asks if he can walk us home. Before I have the chance to answer him, Grandpa Jones interjects with a mischievous grin, "Well, let's get a move on, young man! Get the old guy out of the way so you can have yourself some time alone with the pretty girl."

My face flushes once again while Levi chuckles at the remark, considerately offering to push Grandpa's wheelchair for me like a proper gentleman. The three of us chat about everything and nothing as we leisurely stroll back to my grandmother's house, and I must say, it's probably the best time I've had in a long while. I genuinely feel like I belong right here with these two incredible guys who mean so much to me.

I'm not sure I'd ever be able to admit that out loud, though.