Chapter 26

A biting wind chilled the late March air. Snow flurries dance through the breeze before peppering the ground. The snow─once a blanket of white covering concrete and grass alike─was almost non-existent on the sidewalks. Dust and dirt penetrated what was left of the once-pristine particles. Spring had come, bringing the flying white powder as a welcoming gift.

Crowds of shoppers, who weeks before had packed the street to buy Valentine gifts or purchase green for St. Patrick's Day, were sparse. Still, a small band prepared for the next year as they combed the leftover wares offered by various shopkeepers. Bargain hunters strolled down Westerville's small downtown, popping in and out of stores to find one last deal.

Two walkers ambled down the street. Dressed in an oversized duffle coat, Kristy had a bulky scarf wrapped around her neck and shoulders, her pink hair covered with a thick blue cap. She walked with her head down in obvious misery.

The young man at her side wore a light jacket with a colorful scarf draped around his neck. The chilly wind had little effect on him as he strode hatless down the street, his dark curling mop of hair bouncing in the wind. His gait was smooth and steady, even on the icy patches, as he gazed at the bopping flurries. A small smile tugged at the corner of his full lips. Victor breathed in the chilly air with something close to pleasure.

He glanced down at his miserable companion. "I told you to let me drop you off."

The scarf muffled her voice. "You lied. You said it was spring."

He grinned. "I warned you about late snow squalls, love."

Kristy gave a very unladylike snort in reply.

They skirted past two shoppers standing in the middle of the sidewalk, chattering away about the past holiday season.

"You wouldn't believe the crowd at the slopes," said a tall woman in a bright red coat. "Even in the chalet, we rented─"

"Well, we stayed in town to ski at Mount Brighton. Thank goodness it wasn't snow from the snow machines─" interrupted her companion.

"Did I tell you about the new ski instructor?" replied Red coat.

Victor and Kristy hurried past, spared from further details.

"How do they talk to each other? They don't listen," muttered Kristy. "That's a failing human trait. You guys don't listen, just talk, talk, talk."

Victor adjusted the dance bags on his shoulders. "Heaven knows the magi are great listeners. One big happy family, eh?"

Kristy ignored the reply. She shivered again before asking, "How much farther?"

"Almost there, love. Get ready. I want this performance to be your crowning achievement."

She peeped at him through the folds of her scarf. "Performing with you in the spring showcase will be my crowning achievement.... if we ever get real spring weather!"

"I don't want to get short shrift from you if you mess up and I nag. Nagging is my job."

Her eyes narrowed. "Short shrift?"

"Never mind." He walked several steps before opening the street door leading into the dance studio. Victor held it open and bowed. "After you."

They passed the pristine reception area and slid onto one of the comfy sofas in the empty ballroom. "Ally's not at the desk." Kristy gazed around the spacious room. "Where's everybody?"

"The studio opens in a couple of hours. Marta arranged this private session with her and Adam." He had tossed his coat on a nearby chair and was already lacing up his dance shoes.