25

After the long roadtrip back to the club, Noah offered to drop you guys off at a hotel since the club was probably still a mess from the first attack. It was hard to refuse that offer, considering all of you were exhausted, and the club wouldn't be too far away.

It felt so strange to finally settle down without having to worry about anything. Once you all were in the room it was like a little party. Well, for Ted, anyway. Knowing him he got a few celebratory drinks and went crazy with it. Charlie kept a close eye on him, and even had to stop him from jumping into the toilet so he could "meet Mario" at one point.

While all that chaos was going on, though, you sat on one of the beds, just taking a moment to sit back and relax. The past few days had been absolutely hectic, it was nice to finally have a breather. Though while you sat there q strange, faint smell began to drift through the room, and almost immediately you knew what it was.

Cigarette smoke.

Slowly you stood up from the bed, before heading over and carefully knocking on the door to the balcony. Sighing, you leaned against the frame slightly. "Schlatt, I've known you well enough that by now it's obvious you smoke when somethings bothering you. What's wrong?"

There was a short moment of silence before Schlatt let out a few faint coughs. "The door's open, Y/N. You don't gotta sit there and knock the whole time."

Pushing open the door, you stepped out and carefully closed the door behind you. Frowning a bit, you walked over and carefully rubbed Schlatt's back. "Schlatt, we've won. We're free to take a break and relax for once. Why are you smoking?"

Schlatt nearly scoffed at your question, taking a long drag of his cigarette before laughing a bit. "Why am I smoking.. Y/N, you don't get it. Do you?" He muttered, before rubbing his hands over his face. "I promised the kid I'd kill that bastard, Y/N. I promised him and I didn't do it. I just called the cops like a fucking pussy and called it a day. I broke my promise."

As soon as you heard the word 'kid', you knew exactly what he was talking about. Keeping your hand on his back, you frowned a bit. "We took him down either way.. no matter what I'm sure he would've been happy.."

"But I made a promise to him, Y/N. That bastard should be dead." He grumbled under his breath, before flicking the finished cigarette bud off of the balcony. "I broke the promise."

In all honesty you weren't sure how to comfort him through this. You knew deep down Tommy would've been proud of what all of you had done, but yet you knew saying that to Schlatt wouldn't help. He wanted the promise to be fulfilled.

Placing your hand on his shoulder, you rubbed it slowly. "I know how you feel, Schlatt.. but he's gonna be locked up for who knows how long. He's as good as dead in there anyway.."

That statement seemed to cheer Schlatt up somewhat, though he was still gloomy. You managed to convince him to come back inside, gently taking him by the hand and leading him in.

Once inside Schlatt just sat down on the bed, while you grabbed the remote to try and at least get some noise in the room. Turning on the TV, though, the first channel you happened to he on was the news.

"Breaking news, we've just got reported data from authorities that alleged crime boss 'CMC', now confirmed with the name 'Carson King', has been found dead in an abandoned warehouse." The reported announced as she shuffled through her papers. "Since police are investigating the area now, we don't have many details on this story yet. No autopsy report has been conducted yet, but police suspect a strong head injury could've been the cause of death for the infamous criminal. More on this after a quick break."

Both you and Schlatt sat there in silence for a moment, soon a grin forming on Schlatt's face. "Holy shit."

Slowly looking over at him, a smile grew on your face. "Guess you fulfilled your promise overall, huh?"