Chapter 22 - Axel

Start from the beginning

"I could close the door and let you continue." A woman's voice echoed into the hall. What the hell? My head whipped in the direction of the voice, and I quickly pulled away, eyeing a girl that looked about the same age as Kez.

She stood tall on her feet, posture straight, one arm pulled up against the door as she leaned on it, her face twisted in confusion, and her raven hair was tied up loosely, falling behind her. I blinked, letting my eyes take in her attire. It looked as though she was ready for some assassin's party; a black leather jacket, corset top, combat boots, and black skinny jeans-knives strapped onto one leg-and a gun stuffed in her pants.

"And who may you be, princess?" I asked, trailing my eyes back up very slowly. I heard Kez's tiny groan, and I couldn't help but chuckle, then I felt her hand touch mine. Jealous brat.

The girl tsk-ed, pushing off the door and placing both hands on her hips, taking one step forward. "One, don't call me princess, and two," she said, tilting her head to the side. "I should be the one asking questions, so?"

Chuckling breathlessly, I tipped my chin up. "Axel-"

"How rude of him." My brother's voice came from behind us, cutting me off. I gazed over my shoulder, watching as he walked closer, slowly stepping through me and Vixen. Turning around, he looked at Kez and tsk-ed twice. Uh? "Fucking one woman, then flirting with another."

That motherfucker. My hands started to ball up into fists, and my veins pulsed with anger. The pettiest shit came from Roman's mouth sometimes, and it pissed me off-he claimed to be professional about things when we did business but then ran his damn mouth like a teenager that despised you. Dick.

Clearing his throat, he cocked a brow and clenched his jaw, looking at my hands. "Control yourself," he muttered lowly before twisting on his heels. "And how rude of me," he said to the girl, "Roman Santiago." He put out a hand.

Hesitating, she pressed her lips together, deciding to shake his hand. "Nessa," she said, raising her eyebrows as if waiting for something to happen. "Do they have names?"

He hummed, "Axel Santiago my brother, and his-"

"Kez!" Vixen stepped forward, a friendly smile playing on her lips. "It's nice to meet you, Nessa."

The girl returned the gesture, nodding her head. Sighing, she shifted backward and opened up the door more, gesturing for us to come inside. "I assume you guys are friends of Kimura's," she stated unknowingly, closing the door and ushering into the living room.

Roman cleared his throat, racking his eyes around the place. "Something like that, and you-lover?"

She scoffed, "Lover? Not even if we were the last two people on this planet." Interesting. She rolled her eyes and stalked into the kitchen, grabbing a phone off the island table, and stuffing it into her pants pocket. "I'm sorry to cut this short but I have shit to do, so do as you please."

Groaning, she dashed toward the door, hastily pulling it open. "Before you run off, darling, perhaps you know where Ryker is?" My brother halted her in the middle of her getaway.

"Uh," she breathed out heavily, "either at his casino getting his hands dirty, or plotting ways to kill me." With that, she groaned and turned around.

"How do you know him?" I made her stop again. The more we knew about her the better. She could've broken into Ryker's house and tried killing him, or fucking him over. And plotting ways to kill her-come on! If that didn't raise red fucking flags, then what the fuck.