Chapter 6 - Friday, I'm in Love

Start from the beginning

******   ******   ******

Their routine continues for the rest of the week. Meeting every morning, running together, becoming more and more in sync. Then at school, they pretend they don’t know one another any better than Gil knows any other student. Less since she’s not in any of his classes. Friday afternoon, Penelope and Rowena sit in an alcove in the hallway, trying to come up with plans for the weekend. Bouncing her heels against the wall below their seat, Penelope stares down at the floor.

“Ms. Chisholm. Do you disrespect your walls at home like that?”

Penelope looks up at the sound of the familiar voice. Gil’s eyes glint with humour, but his face is set in a stern, teachery expression. 

“Maybe I do.” She responses belligerently, biting back a smile. Rowena stares into her lap, pretending not to know what’s happening between her best friend and her new teacher.

“Perhaps you should have a little more respect for our school.”

“Perhaps,” She mimics “it’s not your school.” Propping her foot up against the edge of the seat, she runs a hand along her leg. Her mouth hitching into a tiny smile.

“Your attitude is uncalled for. I’d like to speak to you privately.” He uses his most teacherlike tone before opening the door to the classroom across the hall.

“Whatever.” She mumbles, jumping off the seat. Winking quickly at Rowena, she slips between Mr. Staal and the door. He glances quickly down the hall and closes the door behind them. The frosted glass in the door distorts the view into the room.

“Well, that was bitchy.” Gil smiles, propping himself up on the edge of a desk impossible to see from the door.

“Just playing the part.” Her mouth pulls up on one side. Stepping close to him, but not touching.

“What are we doing about our run tomorrow?”

“Ummm, running…?” She raises an eyebrow. 

“But that’s it.”

“Yes, just like we’ve been doing all week.” She isn’t sure what he’s getting at.

“But we’ve always had school when that run ends. Tomorrow is Saturday.”

“And there’s this whole empty day just waiting to be filled.” Understanding finally clicks.

“Exactly. And that will only end in badness.”

“I guess you’ll just have to show some self control. Won’t you.” She brushes her hand across his knee.

“I’ll have to, will I?” His eyebrows rising sceptically.

“Yes. You will.” Planting both hands on his knees, she leans into him, stopping centimetres from him lips. “Do you think you can?” Her fingers dance slowly up his legs. Gil’s hands find her arms. Fingers wrapping around her strong biceps. The lean muscle tensing under the touch of his skin through her white blouse. The breath seeping through the slit between his lips warms her skin. She leans in. Further. Moist lips brush against moist lips. Then the fingers tighten. More than necessary, to the point of pain. Suddenly her feet lift off the ground. Her toes scramble for purchase. She’s stumbles backwards, trying to regain her balance, stopping when she backs into a shelf running along the wall.

“Jesus, Gil!” She rubs her arm.

“I’ve told you not to push it, Penelope.” Gil crosses his arms, stepping towards her. “I’m sorry.” He reaches out, touching the side of her face gently. “We just can’t risk getting caught. Especially not in the school. What if someone had opened the door?”