S1 E9 : "The Dance" (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"I read my Chilton newsletter." Grandma explained.

"Since when do you get a Chilton newsletter?" Mom confronted.

"Well, as a major contributor to the girls' education," Grandma started as she got up from her chair, "I figured I had the right to ask for a newsletter to be sent to my house."

"Are you serious?" Mom exclaimed as she watched Grandma leave the room for a second before reappearing with the newsletter in hand.

"And it's a good thing, too. Since you don't read yours. One of us should be up-to-date on the girl's school." Grandma called out mom.

"Hey, mom, I read my newsletter." Mom tried defending herself, but we all know that she didn't.

"You did?" Grandma pretended to believe her, knowing she didn't.

"That's right." Mom continued.

"What was the picture on the front cover?" She quizzed.

"Uh, I-It was a picture of a really rich kid in plaid." Moms stumbled out her words, trying to come up with something.

I shook my head, knowing the answer as Grandma revealed what it actually was, "It was a spotted owl." Grandma answered her question.

"In plaid." Mom joked, making Rory and I chuckle.

"The owls are endangered, and Chilton is taking donations to help them." Grandma explained the picture, while taking her seat, "You both made a very nice one, in case you're interested." Grandma finished leaving Rory and I a little shocked.

"Mom, don't be giving donations on behalf of them. I'll do that." Mom complained as she wanted to be the one to do those sorts of things.

"How can you do that when you don't read the newsletter?" Grandma nagged.

"I read the newsletter." Mom went on with her story, but again it was just a lie.

"You didn't know they're taking donations." Grandma mused as she stared at mom to my left.

"It's a private school, they are always taking donations. They teach a class in it, I'll get them next time." Lorelai replied to Grandma's last remark.

"Well, what about the owls?" Grandma asked, tilting her head.

"They'll live." Mom responded clearly forgetting why they were on the cover.

"Apparently they won't. That's why they needed donations in the first place." Grandma spoke what I was thinking.

"So, you have a formal coming up?" Mom changed the subject to the dance. I preferred the other one better. I've done so much thinking about this dance, I really didn't want to talk about it too.

"Yeah, but I don't think I'm gonna go." Rory told mom about her plans.

"Nonsense, of course you're gonna go." Grandma was quick to judge Rory on her decision.

"Mom, if Rory doesn't want to go, she doesn't have to go." Mom stood up for her, giving her mother a side eye.

"Well I don't understand why she wouldn't wanna go. I mean I'm sure Eva's going." Grandma replied as she gestured to me.

"Actually I was thinking about staying home too?" I quietly revealed as I looked down at my plate. I knew saying that was only gonna lead to a bigger blow up from Grandma, but I didn't want to just stay silent about it either.

"I'm gonna go get another coke." Rory was quick to say after the table went silent. She stood up from her place at the table and went to the kitchen.

"I'm just gonna," I started as I pointed at the direction Rory went, "Yeah." I ended, dismissing myself from the table and following Rory into the kitchen.