Part 5 - Chapter Six - The Harvest

Start from the beginning

"It's probably nothing," said Zach. "It could just be a racoon or something. Maybe even a bear."

Sam had already started to scoop Anpiel up. "Zach, we better just do it. I'd rather it turn out to be a raccoon and we all feel silly than the alternative."

The movement made Anpiel stir and she sat up, blinking sleep out of her eyes. "What's going on guys?"

"It's nothing," said Sam and stroked her hair. "We're going into the bedroom for a bit."

"Why?"

Clay stood ramrod straight, her eyes fixed to the door.

"Clay what's happening?"

"Just listen to Sam, ok? Go to the bedroom. I'll take care of it."

"Please let me help..."

Sam took her hand and started to pull her towards the bedroom. "Annie please."

The thud happened again and this time Sam flinched. Even Zach eyed the door with uncertainty. The sound of radio chatter and static cut through the quiet night air.

"Ok, let's go," he said and took Anpiel's other hand.

"Guys please let me help," she pleaded and tried to wiggle her hands out of Sam and Zach's grip.

They pulled her towards the bedroom, but Annie broke free.

"Annie please, we don't have time," Sam begged.

Clay turned her gaze from the door to Anpiel. Her skin crawled as blood slithered through her veins. The heat within her core seared her flesh from the inside and flowed into her limbs. Her body pulsed with each heart beat until it was all she felt or heard. It took every ounce of strength to keep herself together until she could finish speaking with Anpiel.

"I know you want to help, but I'm terrified of hurting you if you get in the way," Clay swallowed. "I can't quite control it. It's hard to explain... Please go hide with Sam and Zach."

Anpiel took Clay's hand in hers and looked up at her with wide, watery eyes. "If you want me to hide, I will."  

A loud crash interrupted them and they looked out towards the door. 

"They're trying to bust the door down," Sam squeaked.

The front door buckled as the agents outside hit it again and again. Clay marched into the living room. Sam slammed the bedroom door behind her and latched the bolt.

The wooden door snapped and splintered, then finally broke open. A squadron of ten agents flooded in and filled the entire kitchen and living room area. The one in the front held his hands up, as if to indicate he meant no harm.

"E1, it is in your best interest, and the best interest of all the civilians here if you come with us peacefully," he said. 

She stared at them, unwilling to dignify them with a response. She didn't think she could speak even if she wanted to. Every last thread of her concentration was focused on the white hot mass of heat boiling her alive from the inside. Her hands balled into fists at her side. Her back molars ground against each other.

The agent tapped the remote attached to his belt. "Very well. Remember, you're the one who wanted it to be this way. I'm going to enjoy this after what you did to my agents."

She smirked. 

He pressed the button. When nothing happened, he stepped back. He pressed it repeatedly, faster and faster. She saw sweat form on his brow.