Part 1- Chapter Two- One Stone

That night, E1 hadn't slept. Instead, she sat vigil at the vent. A2 hadn't felt like talking, she only cried. E1 wanted her to know she was there regardless. Each sob echoed through the vent like a punch in the chest.

E1 dug her fingernails into the soft flesh of her wrist and pulled. Just as the bloody gash would form, she would clot it immediately after. She picked at the edges of the scab and pried it away. Fresh blood oozed up, and she stopped it. The scab reformed. Rinse. Repeat. All night long.

When the guards came for her, she quietly went with them.

"I wouldn't want to be you," said one with a grin. "Smith was in a tizzy this morning."

His partner chimed in. "Well, why wouldn't he be? Did you see it?"

"See what?"

"The body. Poor bugger's brains were everywhere. One side of his head looked normal but the other side was like a busted watermelon."

The guard made a face. "Yuck." He nudged E1. "Do you have anything to say for yourself? Any last words?" he chuckled.

"I wouldn't push her, Gary," said the other one, his tone now much more serious. "The guy was a doctor for God sake. If she's willing to risk that, lord knows what she could do to us."

E1 kept her head forward. It was easier to pretend not to hear them. Anxiety twirled her intestines like spaghetti on a fork. She closed her eyes, let her feet do the moving, and breathed deeply.

He'll understand. I was doing what was best for the project. He'll have to believe me. I have to find a way to undo this. She wanted to believe Smith would see her side, but she had never killed a doctor before.

The guards unlocked a set of double doors and followed her into the room. It was one of many gymnasiums usually reserved for training and obstacle courses but now stood empty. Somehow she found that more intimidating. She had never been here before, but it was similar to the other test chambers they had put her in previously. Like the rest of the laboratory basement, the walls, ceiling and floor were all concrete. The only break in the bleak space was an observation window fixed in the wall across from her. Smith sat on the other side behind a microphone and switchboard.

The doors locked themselves with an audible thunk.

E1 stood at attention. Plenty of words wanted to rush from her all at once, but her tongue felt dry and thick. The roof of her mouth became sticky, and her throat pinched.

Smith leaned toward the tiny microphone. "E1, do you know why you're here?"

She struggled to remain composed. "Yes. I killed Sean MacGuire. He was..."

Smith waved his hand. "I didn't ask for you to elaborate. James has already told me what transpired."

The wind knocked out of her, and she sighed with relief.

"You have displayed an egregious act of disobedience. After all we've done for you, we've fed you, clothed you and given you the finest education and training, you still insist on stepping out of line."

E1 stiffened and readied herself to hear whatever punishment Smith deemed fit to dole out.

I still killed a doctor. I deserve whatever is coming.

"I spent a great deal of thought on what punishment could teach you a lesson in loyalty and compliance. Then I thought, what a better way than to have you dispose of A2 yourself."

E1 blinked in shock as though slapped. In fact, an actual slap would have been preferable.

"Sir please, I'll literally do anything else you ask, anything but this..."