Part 4 - Chapter One - Illusions

Zach rolled out of his tangled heap of sheets. His phone sat on the nightstand where he left it to charge overnight. The draft from the window gave him chills. The moment he unlocked his phone, a deluge of notifications exploded across the screen. Zach stared slack jawed while he scrolled past post after post about the recent "Angel'' sightings. The clear-as-day video of Anpiel taking flight off of a front lawn was the most astonishing. 

His followers flooded the blog's inbox with links to the video and other images, seemingly from the same moment, but taken at different angles.

Holy shit, she's alive. 

After he recovered from the shock, he dared to dream that perhaps Clay might also be free of the lab, and may not be too far behind her. Then it dawned on him. This was the first time sightings of Anpiel had been recorded, especially from such a close, clear range. It was only a matter of time before the media picked it up and ran with it. 

Our article has to come out soon before someone beats me to it.

After Zach followed up with all of the messages, he quickly called Gabriel. He wasn't surprised. He had seen some of the footage himself earlier that morning.

"Don't get too excited Zach," he warned. "Just because Anpiel is out, doesn't mean she's safe. I won't believe either one of them is ok until they're back at the farm."

"I know that," Zach said, exasperated. "We have to release the article. Except for Clay and Anpiel's testimony, I have almost everything I need to go forward with it. If we don't get them back in time, we could see if Anpiel left a feather behind. It's something we can use for physical evidence. I just got a couple of emails from the women I interviewed, and they sent me copies of their contracts and other documents."

"I don't think we should be hasty here Zach, we have to think about the impact the article is going to have. I'm still nervous about releasing it so soon. Plus, something feels wrong about using Clay and Anpiel as evidence if they're not around. I don't feel comfortable rooting around in the trailer to look for a feather..."

"Then what's the alternative?" Zach snapped. "We leave them to get experimented on, or they have to run and hide forever?"

"Fine, we'll stick to the plan then. I hate being this stuck," he cleared his throat. "I've wanted to tell you something."

"What?" Zach furrowed his brow. He couldn't think of what Gabriel might have to tell him that would make him sound so hesitant.

"I'm starting to get uncomfortable here Zach. If this backfires on us, we could end up in some serious danger. Look, if it were just me, I'd be all in, but I don't want Sam to get hurt."

"She'll be fine. She's the one that wanted to put a rush on the article, remember? I know you want to protect her, but she's capable of fending for herself and making up her own mind. You're the one that lives with her, I shouldn't have to tell you that. It's cute and everything, but chivalry is dead."

"It's not chivalry," Gabriel insisted. "This isn't a game. If this goes wrong, we could all die. Either way, our lives will be turned upside down because we're going to be associated with this for the rest of our lives. Then think of what that means for Clay and Anpiel."

"I have thought about it. It's better than the alternative."

"We're not having that conversation again. All I'm saying is if I think for one second Sam is in any danger, I'm pulling out, and you're on your own."

*****

She found herself surrounded by a darkness so thick and infinite it coated her like a blanket, and throbbed in gentle undulations. Clay perceived her physical orientation to be standing upright, but she felt like she floated. If she reached out around her, she thought she could keep going, and stretch herself out for all eternity. Simultaneously, she was overcome by both terror and exhilaration. Clay saw through her own eyes but somehow looked at herself from the outside.