Part 3 - Chapter Two - Welcome Home

The weather was too nice for a day like today. The sound of songbirds outside was jarring to her ears. Clay slumped against the passenger side of Zach's Civic, and struggled to keep her eyes open as they waited in front of the bridge.

Zach looked her directly in the eyes. "Are you sure you don't want me to wait out here for you?"

"Yes Zach, I'm sure. I don't know how long I'll be."

"Let me come with you. Gabriel can interview Cameron instead, and...."

She shook her head. "It's far too dangerous for you. They'd shoot you the minute we step foot on the property. You're helping out far more by staying back."

Zach looked ahead out of the dusty windshield. He gripped the steering wheel with one hand and touched Clay's leg with the other. She fought the urge to push him away.

"I'll come back, I promise," she said and put her hand on his. "No matter how long it takes, I'll get myself and Anpiel out of there for good." Clay hoped she sounded confident, but knew she couldn't guarantee she would ever see him, or the others again. "Once your article is published, the lab won't be a problem."

"Yeah, but you and Cameron are probably right. There are more facilities out there just like it."

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." Clay squeezed his hand. "I have to go."

"Hey, come here a sec," Zach said, and she leaned in. He pulled her into his arms and held her close. "I don't want to let you go."

Clay closed her eyes and breathed him in. He smelled of Irish Spring soap and faintly of cigarette smoke. She wished she could go home.

Zach gently kissed the top of her head and released her. "Be careful ok?" He sniffled and she thought he may be crying, but couldn't tell for sure.

"Of course," she said and tried to smile. The lump at the base of her throat hurt. It chafed against every word she spoke. She climbed out of the car and began to cross the bridge. She thought of the story of Lot's wife and how she was turned into a pillar of salt for daring to look back at her burning home. Despite herself, she looked over her shoulder and could still see him through the window. He looked lost.

*****

His sneakers squeaked against the concrete floor when he rounded the corner a little too fast. James winced at the harsh sound. He checked over his shoulder to find nothing but the empty hallway. The heavy wool blanket he brought down with him scratched his forearms. 

He neared the storage room and felt his heart flutter. He was brought back to the day they first met. Though Rachael had been gone for two years when he arrived, the project had been in great shape. It was its wings, of course, that had caught his attention, but its large blue eyes and wide smile held it. It crushed him to see it disappear as the years went on.

Everything had gotten overwhelming so quickly. When he began, he hadn't realised how much went into orchestrating the project. At first, he had enjoyed assuming such control over it; When to eat, when to shower - it was all up to him. Then the paperwork grew tiring. Everything needed a request for approval that involved weekly applications. It was all too much.

Things would be different now that it was going to be just the two of them. There would be no need to submit anything, and he could make up for the lost time. It would be much better this time around.

With a shaking hand, James used his key card to unlock the storage room. He clicked on the overhead light. Covered by a blue tarp and crammed under the shelves was a medium-sized dog crate. In the silence, he heard the rasp of its rapid, apical breathing. The tang of sweat and urine filled the already stale basement air.