3- Let's Duel!

Adrien's thoughts on his first class at the duel academy were that he had really loved it. He was well aware of the fact that he was behind when it came to some of the newer parts of the game. Even before his mom had vanished, he had never been allowed to go out and duel others nor was he ever allowed to go to any dueling tournaments. Those restrictions only got more intense after his mom disappeared.

So, when his teacher, Ms.Bustier, started to teach them, he had been very excited to learn. Especially since while he knew about and was able to use fusion and ritual summoning, the newer summoning techniques were really things that he wanted to learn about. He already knew that Lyon used gate summoning while Vallia uses XYZ summoning.

He did not know much about synchro, XYZ, gate, link, or pendulum summoning. At least, he didn't know until the end of his first class.

Synchro is when two or more monsters are used to combine their levels into the level of the synchro monster that is being summoned. And one of those monsters needs to be a tuner monster for the synchro to actually be possible. XYZ is when two monsters of the same level were combined to summon the monster. Those monsters would become overlay units that would be used to activate the monster's special abilities. Pendulum summoning is when two pendulum monsters are placed on either side of the duel disk and would then be considered spell cards that would be used to summon multiple monsters at once. Pendulum monsters are monster cards with gem-like symbols on them with numbers that tell the levels of the monsters that would be allowed to summon, which would be any monster with a level that is between the numbers of the two used pendulum monsters. Link summoning is when one or more monsters are used to call a monster with the same number of links as the number of monsters used with their special abilities sometimes depending on the number of links they have. And gate summoning is when two monsters that are the same type, such as two light monsters or two warrior monsters, are used to become the "keys" to open up the "gate" for the monster. The monsters would become similar to overlay units and pendulum cards where they would remain the "keys" and could be used to call the monster over and over again unless they were destroyed.

He thought that all of them were amazing, even when he wanted to stick with his fusion summoning. He knew about that already and even when fusion, advance, and ritual summoning were the three oldest summoning techniques, they were still all very good techniques as well. 

Fusion summoning was when two or more monsters were brought together through the use of a spell, special ability, or trap in order to fuse them together into a whole new monster. Advance summoning was when one or more lower-level monsters would be sacrificed or tributed in order to summon a higher-level monster with levels five and six needing one tribute while levels seven through nine needed two and ten through twelve needed three. And ritual summoning was when a spell or trap ritual card was used in order to sacrifice monsters to equal the level of the monster that was going to be summoned. Though, ritual and advance summoned monsters were kept in the regular deck unlike how the other monsters were kept in the extra deck.

And during class, he actually did get to talk with Nino a little when he was able to. Nino turned out to be a very nice guy with a deep love of music. Not only did he duel, but he also wanted to become either a professional DJ or a film director in the future. Adrien was really starting to like Nino since he seemed like such a nice, relaxed, and fun guy. Though, he would not tell his father about it since there was no way his father would approve of someone that wanted to be a DJ one day.

Nino also gave him a low-down on the rest of their classmates since he did not know any of them other than Lyon, Vallia, and Chloe. And Adrien had to admit that there were certainly a lot of colorful characters in his class.

Starting with the girls, there were Marinette, Alya, Juleka, Alix, Rose, Mylene, and Sabrina. Marinette is a fashion design hopeful that is actually a big fan of Adrien's father. Alya wants to be a reporter and even has a blog all about her reporting on up-and-coming duelists. Juleka was a quiet and shy girl but is actually a very skilled duelist. Alix is an athletic girl that is about as tomboy as a girl can get. Rose is the class sweetheart that never wants to see the bad in anyone. Mylene wants to be an actress and was actually very skilled for her age. And Sabrina was basically just Chloe's minion that did anything that Chloe says no matter what.