Chapter Seventeen - Barrels and Fish

Comincia dall'inizio

'If you value your freedom, you'll do as I say,' Bard warned. 'There are guards ahead.'

I turned to see figures in the fog. Thorin looked to me, and I realised he was trusting my instincts.

'We trust him,' I said.

Thorin nodded, and soon Balin had handed over the money, ignoring Dwalin's grumbling. Bard pocketed it.

'Get in the barrels,' he said. There was an immediate outcry from the dwarves at this.

Bard looked at me for help, sensing that if I did what he said the others would quickly follow. I shifted my skirt and climbed into the barrel near the edge of the boat, picking Winston up and looking around at the others before sitting down.

I could hear the company grumbling, then the sounds of them getting in the barrels. The small waves of the lake gently slapped against the sides of the barge as it slid across the water, effortlessly controlled by Bard.

I was thrown forward slightly when the barge stopped suddenly, but nobody heard my quiet 'oof' when I collided with the side of the barrel. Bard walked passed my barrel and, judging by the sound of his footsteps, jumped off.

'What's he doing?' I heard Dwalin ask.

'He's talking to someone,' Uncle Bilbo said. 'And... he's pointing right at us! Now they're shaking hands.'

My heart started thumping in my chest. If Bard sold us out and we were caught, then it would be all my fault.

Then dead fish tumbled into my barrel.

I spluttered, momentarily forgetting I was supposed to be hiding as the stench filled my nostrils. Trying not to gag at the feeling of slimy scales I managed to create a small well for Winston before moving slightly in a more comfortable position as the boat continued across the water.

'Quiet!' Barf whispered to us. 'We're approaching the toll gate.'

The boat slowed to a stop and a voice rang out.

'Halt! Goods inspection. Papers, please. Oh, it's you, Bard.'

'Morning, Percy,' Bard said, his voice making it obvious that Percy was a friend - or at least a close acquaintance.

'Anything to declare?'

'Nothing, but that I am cold and tired, and ready for home.'

'You and me both.'

There was a brief pause, and I just managed to hear the sound of papers shuffling. Adrenaline was coursing through my blood with every pounding heart beat - the chances of getting caught were too high for comfort, but we were so close to making it into Laketown.

'Here we are. All in order.'

I let out a sigh of relief when Percy spoke again, ready to get moving again. But another voice spoke.

'Not so fast.'

I bit my lip. Not being able to see the events going on a few feet away from me were doing nothing for my nerves.

'Consignment of empty barrels from the Woodland Realm,' the voice said, presumably reading from something. 'Only, they're not empty, are they, Bard? If I recall correctly, you're licensed as a bargeman, not a fisherman.'

'That's none of your business,' Bard said, annoyed. Whoever the voice belonged to, Bard didn't like him, and that meant that he couldn't be trusted.

'Wrong,' the voice said. 'It's the Master's business, which makes it my business.'

'Oh come on, Alfrid, have a heart. People need to eat!'