chapter 60- crime and punishment

Start from the beginning

"you're no fun. won't tell me where we're going, won't tell me what's in the back... it's not a body, is it?" my head snaps up as i give aubrey a confused expression.

"why would i have a-"

"because hiding a body in the back of the trunk is the most obvious place to hide it. you'll get caught immediately. i know a couple of witch stuff that could help you dispose of it, if you want."

my jaw drops as i listen to her words.

"you are psycho," i tell her as i stifle a laugh. "absolutely deranged."

"watch it, i'm going to offer you up to the gods tonight if you're not careful."

"you're gonna WHAT?"

aubrey giggles as she turns back around.

"relax. i'm joking. i don't offer up friends."

"remind me to never get on your bad side."

i close the trunk and get in the driver's seat. i nudge the aux cord towards aubrey and she plugs her phone in.

"can i play my new favorite song?" she asks.

"you can play whatever you want," i answer. aubrey nods and scrolls through her spotify, eventually choosing a song.

that wasn't funny but she laughed so hard she almost cried

they're counting months they've been together, almost forty-nine

he's making fun of how she acted 'round the holidays

she wears a ring but they tell people that they're not engaged

"is this conan gray?" i ask, recalling the familiar voice. aubrey nods.

"people watching, by conan gray."

i nod as i continue to listen to the song. it has a pretty calm beat until the chorus rolls around.

but i wanna feel all that love and emotion

be that attached to the person i'm holding

someday i'll be falling without caution

but for now i'm only people watching

i let out a satisfied sigh.

"you feel like you relate to these lyrics, too?" aubrey asks as she hears me.

"yeah. i'd say so. i really like your music taste, by the way," i compliment. aubrey beams.

"thank you! i really like your... music."

"you hesitated."

"no i did not!"

i laugh as i tease aubrey and listen to the song that i feel like i relate to too much.

∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘

"why are we here?" aubrey asks as i pull into the parking lot at the park not very far from her apartment building.

"you've been here before, haven't you?" i ask as i turn off the car and unbuckle my seatbelt.

"well, yes, but... there's nothing to do here. it's only grass."

"and grass is the perfect place for a picnic!" i announce as i hold up the basket niki and i put together. aubrey's eyes start sparkling as she immediately jumps out of the car.