The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

            "Who led them?" Elsargast asked. He readjusted in his seat as he awaited the response.

            "I did not stick around to find out, whoever it is, is more powerful than me. They are heading southwest though, directly towards us," Andron cautioned. His eyes were wide now as he turned his gaze to Searon.

            "How long?" Searon asked. His voice shook at the thought of the town being breached and his face clammed up.

            "A couple weeks if they keep pace," Andron said. He declined his head and stared at his hands on the table. They were caked in dry blood and rough to the touch.

            "We need to separate as an army and take best skills into consideration. Captains of every craft," Karceoles stated. He looked to the king awaiting his approval.

            "I wish Starlyn were still here, her leadership would greatly help us now," Elsargast said. He shook his head at the thought of missing his captain. Starlyn was always there for him to lead an attack. He only wished he knew where she had went.

            "Do you not have another to lead?" Karceoles asked. His gaze looked doubtful towards the king.

            Elsargast flushed red and eyes darted to Karceoles with insult, "Of course I do! Vil'ek is to be in charge of our melee."

            "My lord, what of you, if you remain here you need protection," Vil'ek said. Vil'ek wasn't eager to travel away from his king again. In the past it had only caused trouble.

            Elsargast smiled, "My old friend do not worry about me, I will place a squad of elves with me, I need you leading our men and women. I trust no one else."

            "I hope not to disappoint you my lord," Vil'ek said. He declined his head and sat back in his chair continuing to be a shadow in the discussion.

            Elsargast nodded. "As far as my ranged, I appoint my best archer to lead them to victory. Anaela, use your knowledge of the bow to best place our ranged."

            "I will do to the best of my ability," Anaela said. Her voice was soft and elegant, she had complete confidence but she didn't speak to the elves too often. She had earned their respect in the last war, but she was still a wood elf surrounded by all high elves.

            "Aliqua... you are to organize all the spell casters," Elsargast announced. He looked to Aliqua with a smile. She had always been helpful to him in many more events than war.

            "Yes sire, if I may?" Aliqua asked looking to the king.

            "Go ahead," Elsargast replied. He sat further back in his chair to await her advice as he often did in the past.

            "If I take the spell casters to the treetops and homes, we can be more effective. We'll have larger range and stay safer," Aliqua assured. She waited in hope to the king's answer.

            "Very good Aliqua, carry on with that," Elsargast said and nodded to his old friend.

            Then he looked at Searon. Searon took a deep breath and waited. He had been thinking about how he was going to organize his men. Elsargast saw the thoughts traveling through Searon's mind and smiled.

            "Searon, continue from here, you know your men best," Elsargast acknowledged.

            "Karceoles and Sh'on will be in charge of range and support," Searon said. He looked at his only magical support and nodded to them.