Chapter 48 - Orphanage comfort.

Start from the beginning

' And there you have it".

 Gadrus presents a piece of paper to Cortina.

'What is this, an inspection of the orphanage?'

'It's essentially for new recruits. I had Reid take it for a change. How about you?'

"'Me too?"

 So Cortina spread the wings of her imagination.

 She played innocently with the children and healed them, and at night she and Reid were alone under the stars.

 He looks at her with serious eyes and she ......

'Guh heh, not bad.'

'Really? Vasya, that's weird."

'It's not about me! That request, I certainly took it!"

'I see. Then the children will be pleased."

"'What?"

I'm sure they'd be more happy to have a 'hero' like you than some adventurer come to inspect them."

'Ah, yes. Come to think of it, I did."

 Cortina holds a special position among the Six Heroes.

 She is different from Gadrus, who boasts an overwhelming defence, and from Lyell and Maria, who are the main protagonists.

 Nor does she have outstanding skills like Raid or Maxwell.

 Her abilities themselves are only first-class, and she is not as good as the best of them.

 She is able to use her skills to command the masters and lead them to victory. For ordinary people without power, this is a performance that can be called hope.

 You can be a hero even if you have no power or magic.

 Cortina is the embodiment of this.

 The children would be delighted to receive her as a consolation prize.

 Cortina, anticipating this outcome, plunged down on the counter again.

'This makes it difficult for us to be alone together, .......'

'Well, we'll get to that later. For now, just make up.'

' Nyuu ......'

 Cortina was catcalled to the situation, which did not go down as well as it did on the battlefield.

 She greeted a good-natured priest at a church that doubled as an orphanage and was to meet the children living there.

 The visit was actually more of a consolation prize, but even so, we had to see the children's health and other conditions with our own eyes.

 Cortina, seeing Raid's twitchy smile, exposed to the eyes of curiosity and delight, had a chuckle.

 It is rare that he, who has the feeling of being a third person who tries to pretend to be cool on a daily basis, would express so much 'difficulty'.

'Today, Reid and Cortina have come to inspect this orphanage. Everyone, please greet them without rudeness.'

'Haaaaahhhh!'

 The deafening cheers of the children made them hold their ears.

 The children laughed, this time with amusement, as if it was funny that they both took the gesture at the same time.

'Well then, I'll go and prepare lunch, please don't be rude.'

'Okay aaaaah!'

 Children itching to get started, as they can't wait.

 The priest chuckles at this gesture and turns to leave.

'Oh, I'll help you then.'

'Wait, Tina! You're not going to leave me here alone!"

'...... It's okay. I can do raids."

''Look at me and say it!''

 Cortina chooses to flee the scene after deciding that she will be violently baptised by the children if she continues.

 She replied to Reid's call for restraint with words of encouragement. While looking away.

 Condemning her, Reid sounded impatient, as if he had forgotten the previous strained relationship.

 He waved his hand and left the scene, averting his gaze at his cries.

 It was shortly afterwards that the children pounced on Reid, who was still trying to pursue the matter, like ravenous beasts.

'I'm sorry, Reid. I'll pick up your bones later."

'Remember me, oh, oh, oh'?

 Not a strong man by nature, he was crushed before the overwhelming mass of children.

 With her hands on him, Cortina made her way to the orphanage kitchen.

 And a few girls follow her as well.

'Oh, um! I'll help you, too."

'Oh? You can hang out with Reid, okay?"

No, I'm in the middle of having Shinpu-sama teach me how to cook.

'Well, you're great. What is your name?"

"Fuh, fuh-nai, sir!"

 I felt the frustration of the past few days melt away as the girl said her name with such a nervous expression on her face that I feared she might bite her tongue.

 I pat her head a few times and then hold her hand.

 Then I walk to the kitchen. Behind me, Reid screams.

 It seems that even Raid was no match for the children.

'Oh, that ...... Raid-sama, are you all right?'

'If that was going to kill me, I've already died too many times to worry about it, okay?'

'Oh, really?'

 In the kitchen, the priest was struggling to make a lettuce and egg sandwich.

 It was not that laborious a dish. But it's a number of them, so he's struggling.

'I'm here to help.'

'Wow, me too!

'Oh, Lady Cortina! A place like this--"

'Don't worry, I'm a good cook, despite what I look like.

Me too!

'That's dependable. Shall I ask you for a favour then?"

 In reply to the priest, Cortina and Finia looked at each other and then rolled up their arms.

  ◇◆◇◇◆