Chapter 38: Struggles

Start from the beginning

 You don't see many warriors who fight so solidly.

''If you're so skilled, why are you kidnapping people...''

'Well, that's because it's good for money. 'Well, that's because they're good-looking. There are many other uses for them besides sacrifice."

'You prick--'

' 'You're not an elf either, but you're very good. You'll get a good price for that!"

 I thought they were going after my limbs in a strange way, but they're still trying to turn me into a commodity.

 How can they afford to do that when two of their own have been killed?

 But that leeway is not unfounded. In fact, my knees are starting to shake.

 My stamina may finally be in danger.

 Then something even more confusing happened.

''Nicole chan''!

'Michelle? Why are you here!"

 Suddenly, Michelle came riding into this lumberyard.

 She has her own hunting bow in her hand and is carrying a quiver of arrows on her back, but she is not wearing her usual leather armour.

 It is probably just a comforting self-defence gear.

'Once back at home, I went to look for Nicole-chan ...... and what's this?'

'Kidnapped! Go and inform the guards!"

Uh-huh!"

'Oops, if you run away, this kid will be dead.

"'What?

 Michelle stops in her tracks at the man's words.

 The man showing his composure and me in dire need. Looking at the situation, it's not hard to see why she would stop in her tracks.

 But if she stays here, that would be a problem.

 It would be easier to have her go and call the guards and break up the time over there.

 But the man, too, was aware of the situation.

 He approaches the suddenly overturned carriage and flashes the sword in his hand.

 Then one of the timbers that had rolled off the back of the wagon splits in two and a comatose girl rolls out from inside.

 From her pointed ears, she was clearly an elf. Moreover, she is a beautiful girl - or rather, a beautiful little girl - with hair as shiny as golden threads rolled into a roll.

'It's going to take a lot of time to kill that kid over there, but I can always just put the finishing touches to this one and then leave '.

"'Oh, no...'"

"Don't!"

 Oh, no, they've got the hostages completely under their control.

 Even if I escape or she escapes, the hostage girl, who has seen the man's face before, will not be saved.

 In short, if we don't beat this guy, we won't get through this without any deaths.

'Then we'll take him down. Michelle, I'll do it!"

"...uh-huh."

 After receiving a pep talk from me, Michelle-chan also sets up her bow and starts to take control.

 But even with her bow, she could not penetrate the man's defence.

 Every arrow that flew at me was repelled by the shield I had set up.

 A shield made of steel probably can't be pierced by the degree to which I have enchanted it with a strengthening grant.

 Even so, just one hit would change the game, so I'd like to hang on to it if I can. ......

'The one in vermilion, the one in group blue ......'

''I won't let you!''

''Kuk--!''

 He is checked from behind his shield, and is forced to interrupt and evade the spell. The magic power you have worked so hard to develop dissipates and disappears into thin air.

 The man always moves to keep Michelle in front of him and does not move away from the comatose girl.

 As long as he keeps that position, I can't escape.

 The wagon was loaded with four timbers. If all of them are stuffed with kidnapped children, that means his stock of hostages is four.

 I have no choice but to abandon them in the first place.

 But I' m not going to give up on them, because it would shatter my pride in being a hero.

 Even though I have started fighting together with Michelle, the situation is not improving.

 Because my body was rapidly becoming exhausted.

 Not only my sword speed, but even my evasions are becoming more and more marginal.

 My breathing becomes erratic and my vision darkens. The limit is now - close.

 I grit my teeth and maintain my attack and defence, but I cannot find a breakthrough.

 At times like this, Cortina would be able to give me the best positioning and strategy...

 Finally, the limit came.

 Evasion, which I perceived I was capable of. For a moment, that tempo is affected by the slightest timing discrepancy.

 That was all it took for me to fail to duck the man's sword.

 The tip of the man's sword snatches my left bicep and blood splashes.

'Kuh-uh!'

"'Nicole-chan"!

 Normally, it is only a graze. But bleeding accelerates fatigue and pain interferes with concentration.

 If the girl would at least wake up, the situation would change.

'Ma, da ...... still ah!'

 To rouse myself, I raise my voice and slash at the man.

 It was the start of a desperate offensive.