# CHAPTER 20 #

I am extremely sorry for the very late update. I was caught up with many things lately. Hope you wouldn't take it to heart.

I AM SO SORRY!

Let's leave the nonsense aside and move into the story.

::::::::::::::............:::::::::::::..............::::::::::::..

Blood could be seen everywhere. Screams and cries of children too added into it. There was not a single place where blood and cries couldn't be seen and heard.

Lan Wangji tried to meditate. He shut his eyes even more tightly and clenched his fists which rested on top of his thigh. He tried to get back his focus. But nothing worked out. With a deep frown plastered on his face, he opened his eyes.

Lan Wangji looked around and sighed. This had become a habit of his lately.

Lan Wangji got up and walked towards the drawer beside the bed. Some papers were placed on it. He took a paper and began writing.

"Hello brother,
I received your letter. Thank you for your concern. I am doing good. Please don't worry about me. Take care of yourself and uncle.
And... And the rabbits too."

With the letter written, he folded the paper and put into his Qiaqun pouch. He was contemplating on his next destination when someone knocked on the door.

When he opened the door, he saw the waiter of the inn standing on the door way, anxiously.

Before Lan Wangji could question on the other's sudden arrival, the waiter cried,
"Nob... Noble cultivator, plea... Please help my wife. The Jins have taken her away. She is eight months pregnant. Please... Please help her."

Lan Wangji was silent.

"No...," The waiter cried again, "She isn't a Wen. Well, she is. But it was before. Long before Wen Rouhan became the sect master. It was her grand parents to be more accurate. So... So please help her. They... They will kill her. Please...." The waiter begged.

A minute passed. Another minute passed. When another minute was about to pass..., Lan Wangji moved. Hope slowly began rising within the waiter. But little did he expect that Lan Wangji would retreat.

Lan Wangji stepped backwards. Waiter's eyes grew wide.

"I am sorry."

Lan Wangji closed the door behind him.

Behind the door, he could still hear the waiter's pleas.

"No, please don't do this. Open the door. Please.... They will kill her... Please... Open the door....!"

Lan Wangji clenched his fists. He was powerless. No matter what, he couldn't do anything about it.

The cries from the other side of the door gradually faded.

Lan Wangji sighed. What else could he do?

As much as this would be surprising, unfortunately, this was the truth.

Yes. This was Lan Wangji. The Lan Wangji who was once praised for his power and strength. The Lan Wangji who was once the second master of the Gusu Lan Sect. The Lan Wangji who was one of the jades of the Lans. The Lan Wangji who was given the title of Hanguang Jun. The Lan Wangji who was envied for his cultivational power and skills. The Lan Wangji whom none could defeat. The Lan Wangji who sweared to cleanse the evil. And also, the Lan Wangji who was betrothed to the late Wei Wuxian.

If anyone was to ask why he was like this, well, he had been like this ever since that unforgettable incident had happened. For the past three months, he had been like this.

He was ashamed. Ashamed to the point where he no longer lived in Gusu.

He was ashamed that he couldn't protect the innocent Wens from the Jins.

He was ashamed that he couldn't do anything useful from the golden core he received from his late betroth.

At last but not the least, he was ashamed that he had been one of the main reason for his lover to be dead right now!

Lan Wangji closed his eyes. He stopped thinking. The more he thought, the more he felt that he must have left this world long ago.

Lan Wangji packed his things into his Qiaqun pouch, put on the mask that lay on the table and hurriedly left the Inn before anyone could spot him. He did not forget to leave some silver bars with his name written on a piece of paper "noble cultivator" on the counter.

Lan Wangji did not know where he was heading off to, but he dragged himself and his donkey, that he had found on the road the other day, wherever his legs walked to.

He was no longer the powerful cultivator that once he was, and so was his dress, manner and all the other things.

But, little did he know that someone was spying him and whispering,

"Coward."

°°°°°°°°°°°¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶°°°°°°°°°°°°

So who was the one spying Lan Wangji? Got a clue?

Thanks a lot for reading this. Hope you enjoyed.

Please don't forget to leave your comments and votes. Follow me for more updates.

STAY TUNED!
STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY!