The Act

consider this a prologue.

It is every model's dream to work, perhaps just be in the same room as Cruella de Vil these days. The world of fashion has been turned upside down by her scandalously fierce creations a few months ago, and since then, there is no one who can beat her wild creativity and pure raw talent. She is a true genius. No competition.

The exciting "yes" that came out of my mouth once Artie, my manager, asked me if I would be interested in working with Cruella was at the very least embarrassing — and a little unprofessional. But, frankly, I was too thrilled to make myself look composed. I would be working with the greatest designer of our generation. It was my opportunity of a lifetime.

Until I found out what kind of job it was going to be a couple days later.

"This is bullshit!" Cruella screamed as she stood up from her couch to face one of her friends. "You must be out of your mind, Jasper."

The enormity of Hell Hall just made her scream become even louder. The lounge we found ourselves in for our first meeting was heated by a cozy fireplace, but no warmth could compare to the wildfire being spread by Cruella and her uncontrolled anger once she heard what their plan was. The way she stared at Jasper made me shrink in fear at my own seat. Artie cringed right next to me.

"Cruella, you have to listen." Jasper said calmly, as if he was already used to this kind of behavior of hers. "This is not ideal, but it is the only way we can make you look better somehow."

"Pretending to date an entry-level model was the best plan you could come up with? Are you insane?" She paced back and forth around the room, the sound of her cane tapping the floor mixing with the crackling fire. "Incompetent as always."

Entry-level? Is she serious?

Artie stood up right away. "Y/N is not just an entry-level model. She is a talented, beautiful young woman with a bright future ahead of her."

"That's right." Jasper agreed while giving me a shy smile. "You'd look great walking around a nice, kind woman who decided to give the rebel puppy killer a chance to love. People will love the two of you right away."

"They would love a lie, though." I finally spoke as I stood up. The room turned silent. "It would be very unethical."

"See? She's not wrong!" Cruella said while standing next to me. "It'd be very, very unethical."

Jasper laughed. "We both know ethics is not your forte, Cruella."

"Besides, a little lie never hurt nobody, Y/N." Artie spoke once again while placing one of his hands on my shoulder. "Perhaps think about it as your first acting job. Didn't you say something about becoming an actress one day?"

"An acting job that could make your career skyrocket." Jasper added as he walked towards us. "Can you imagine how many people would talk about you just for being Cruella de Vil's girlfriend? Your name will be on everybody's lips."

"Cruella would also look more mature." Artie kept talking. "A serious relationship would make everybody think she is also serious, a responsible adult who would never kill a puppy."

The idea of lying to millions of people about a relationship with someone I met fifteen minutes ago sounded absurd. Cruella was also clear — and a bit rude, honestly — about hating their plan. However, in the end, their points were valid.

There is no denying that such scheme would be very beneficial for both of us. It felt like a weird game of moral relativism. Would this really be wrong if we took into perspective how advantageous it would be for Cruella and I? Maybe a little selfish, of course. But this industry does require you to be egoistic in order to achieve success, right?

Screw it.

"I'm in." I said. "Let's just get this over with."

Artie clapped excitedly as Jasper opened a big, relieved smile. The three of us looked at Cruella. She had yet to agree with this.

The room became silent as she turned to face me, almost like her aura itself held so much power over everyone. I gulped as those green emeralds stared me up and down, scanning every single inch of my body. No one ever prepared me to how intimidating the young designer could be. My palms became sweaty once our eyes met. Her look was indecipherable.

She sighed in defeat. "Fine."

Jasper looked at us with a surprised face. Cruella and I were still facing each other. "F-fine?"

"Yeah, fine." She rolled her eyes, finally turning towards her friend. I let out the breath I did not notice I was holding. "But we're gonna do things my way. Are we clear?"

"But, Cruella, we already have things plann-"

"I don't care." Cruella interrupted Jasper. "My way or nothing else."

She turned to look at me once again.

"We're having lunch together tomorrow at Smith and Wollensky. I'm picking you up at 12:00. Be ready to be photographed."

She left the room just like that. No further instructions. No more questions.

What did I get myself into?

hey guys! i'm so happy to have some time this week to write and finally update (thanks, spring break!). this is short, i know, but just an introduction to this story. would you be okay with multiple parts? like 3, maybe 4 more? i just love fake dating too much.

let me know what you think, as always, your feedback brings a smile to my face. thanks for everything! i hope you're doing great and staying healthy.

love,
M