Chapter 6: Fancy Seeing You

Quietly you stand just outside the circle, finally deciding to listen to what is being said.

     "But the Night Mother is mother to all! It is HER voice we follow! HER will! Would all of you dare risk disobedience? And surely... punishment?"  Cicero sequels.

     A burly Nord takes a step forward towards Cicero, "Keep talking, and you'll be the one who gets punished" he sneers.

     "Oh be quiet you lapdog," groans Festus, "Be civil. I for one, am happy to welcome you and the Night Mothers presence in the sanctuary. Her presence signals a return to tradition."

     Cicero smiles,"What a kind and wise wizard, surely, you are to earn our Lady's favour."

     "Of course, you and the Night Mother are welcome here." Astrid takes a step closer to Cicero, "We are all to respect your position as keeper. Right husband?"

     The burly Nord turns away from Astrid, he crosses his arms and pouts, "Hmph."

     "Oh thank you, thank you." Thrilled, Cicero claps his hands together.

     "Just remember, I am the leader of the sanctuary. My word is law. Got it?"

     Cicero giggles, "Oh yes, mistress! You are the boss."

     Astrid rolls her eyes as she makes her way to the Nord, she sounds as if she's consoling him. The rest of the crowd has disbanded, finally an opportunity to speak to Cicero once more. With bounce in your step you make your way over to the small man.

     He looks over his shoulder as you get closer, turning suddenly as soon as you stop behind him, a wide grin spreads across his face the minute his eyes meet yours.

     "I know you! I know you! It's  you! You're the one who helped poor Cicero on the road. Cicero never forgets a face."

     "Yes! I remember. You were transporting... Your mother?" You notion to the tall grey tomb the stands behind him.

     "Oh yes! But not just my mother, OUR mother. The Night Mother." 

     You have no idea what he's talking about, who is the Night Mother? "Right..." you say.

     "Yes, you helped me. Convinced the farmer Loreius to fix my wheel. Oh, how you've pleased me, but you've surely also pleased the Night Mother. She will never forget it."

     "So," you start, "What brings you here? To this sanctuary I mean."

      Cicero looks away from you and fiddling with his fingers, almost as if he's trying to keep composure.

    "I'm sorry if that offended you or something I-"

    "It's quite alright. Just bit of a sensitive subject is all." He looks back towards you and chuckles softly, "You see, the Night Mothers crypt in Brazil was, desecrated. Just absolutely destroyed. The Imperial Province is revanged with strife. It was no longer safe there." He pauses, "So Cicero brought her here. This is the last sanctuary in all of Skyrim. Such was my honor as Keeper."

     "I see."

    " Yes well, Cicero best be getting back to... What he was doing."

     You nod, "Of course, I've got things I've been needing to do anyway." You start to walk backwards away from him, waving as you do so, "It was nice seeing you again."

     He smiles as he waves back, you turn around. He is one weird man. What a nice little coincidence that your both part of the Brotherhood. Surely, you'll be seeing a lot more of him.

* * *

     After a brief conversation with Nazir, your pockets were starting to feel just a bit heavier. He had paid you a nice modest sum of 100 Septims for the elimination of Beggar Narfi. While no amount would be able to make up for the sudden bloodlust you feel awakening inside you, it sure did help keep your mind off of things for a bit. You'd just finished speaking with Astrid about your first real contact. You were to speak with Muiri in Markarth. If weren't for the downpour outside or it being late at night, you'd already be on the road. However, the past 12 hours have been absolutely exhausting. A good rest is more than well deserved. Sitting on the side of  one of the many beds not occupied within the sanctuary, you slide off your armour and boots. Beneath them you wear just a linen shirt with leather leggings, good for optimal comfort, and breathe easily. Slowly you crawl under the blankets, while not incredibly comfortable it's better than passing out somewhere on the road. With the sounds of light chatter and snoring around you, you drift into a quiet sleep.