Chapter 4: Welcome Home

The hike from Morthal was exhausting. Let alone the fact it was not planned. The lights of Whiterun were just barely visible in the distance, another twenty minutes or so you think to yourself.

     It was odd, the whole ordeal. Never would you of thought that you'd ever be apart of the Dark Brotherhood. Oh, what would Father think... It didn't matter, he's gone. What he would've thought isn't going to help anything, just cause doubt. You can't think of anything but your new "Family" as that assassin called it.

     "Are they nice?" you think.

     Well, they're all cold blooded killers so it really depends on what your definition of 'nice' is.

     You stop walking. You're already at the gates to Whiterun. Has it already been that long? Must've zoned out.

     After laying on the floor for god knows how long and walking for hours home, your bed felt like heaven. You find yourself laying on your back, face to the ceiling.

     "When facing the black door answer, "Silence my brother."" you say aloud. Odd. They said the door was just under the road, near Falkreath. Definitely going to have to check that out in the morning. For now, you decide it is best that you go to sleep. You finally close your eyes after a tiring day and let yourself fall into a deep sleep.

     A small beam of sunlight filters through your bedroom window, the warmth of the light against your cheek is almost comforting. While alerting you that the sun has risen and it is time to wake up, it does so peacefully and allows you a nice and slow awakening. You have but only one thought as you arise out of bed. The door. Under Falkreath road, the door.

     It's almost exciting, you out of everyone in Skyrim have been extended a formal invitation to join The Dark Brotherhood. Not that one should aspire, but imagine how many others have never had this opportunity despite wanting to join so badly. You never really wanted to, or ever thought about joining, but when faced with such opportunity you weren't going to turn it down. Along with the excitement, there's also a pit of anxiety following as darker thoughts come into your mind. Going into a sanctuary filled with cold hearted murderers. One wrong move could send you straight into the void, into nothingness. They weren't as feared as they once were, nothing but a mere shadow of the old times, but something tells you they're on the rise again. You can feel it.

     With your sword at your side and an abundance of healing potions, you make your way outside, through the gates, down to the stables. It was a lovely day, perfect for picking some flowers. Or murdering someone. Depends on how the meeting goes, and whichever one you get to first.

   * * *

     The ride down to Falkreath was peaceful, no wolves, bandits, nothing. Odd, but you weren't going to complain about it. The ride had given you time to think about many things. Such as what you were going to have for dinner tonight, where you put your charmed necklace of water breathing, strange jester you helped a few days ago, but mostly of the increasing anxiety you feel. Thoughts of how it's just an elaborate scheme to get you alone and ambush you. Wouldn't be the first time your name has been out for contract. 'The door should be around here somewhere', you think. 'Near Falkreath, so it can't be too far out. Hope I haven't passed it already.'  You search for any sort of sign of the sanctuary, your eyes gaze over the tall grass and bush, in between trees. While focusing on the ground you spot a small barren patch of dirt. No grass or bush grow on the small spot, as you move closer you realize it's a path leading into the forest. 'That must be it!'  With an almost sort of bounce in your step you follow the path down.

     After not even two minutes of walking, there it is. The door. So close to the road it's almost funny. You'd think it be deeper in the woods. Nevertheless, you cautiously approach the door. It's silent. All you can hear are the lively sounds of birds chirping within the trees, 'Isn't it supposed to ask me a question? Do I have to knock?'  Unsure, you raise your fist to the door. 'Once I knock, there's no going back.' As you begin to knock the door speaks.

      "What is the music of life?" It asks.

     Startling you slightly, you take in the voice. It speaks in whispers, just loud enough for only you to hear. It's voice is deep, and sounds like death itself. You shouldn't delay your answer any longer, "Uhm, ahh... Silence. My brother."

     "Welcome Home..."