12. Finally Eleven

Start from the beginning

Then when he was nine he had asked her the question she dreaded having to answer since the day she left the Wizarding World behind.  He wanted to know what happened to his real parents.  She told him almost everything.  She told him they were murdered by a very bad person and that person had also tried to kill him.  When he asked why he wasn't dead, she had simply told him it was because he was special and he had the lightning scar on his forehead to prove it.  Today was the day though.  No more dancing around the truth.  Today he was eleven and he was finally going to know who he really was and who his parents were.  Her only hope was that he didn't hate her for keeping it from him and  he would take it well when she did tell him.  She planned to have the discussion right after breakfast.  She took the bacon out of the skillet and slid a couple of slices onto his plate and then her own.  Next was the toast.  When she finished, she joined him at the table.

Alaina and Harry didn't talk.  Thanks to her he had impeccable manners, at the table and in general.  Her parents had always taught her to be courteous and she thought  it was a lesson worth handing down.  Once they were finished, she got up and washed the dishes.

"Can I go out and play?" Harry asked.

She looked down at him as she washed a plate.  "Why don't you watch some television instead, Harry?"

He groaned.  "But it's my birthday."

"I know.  A very special birthday.  It's not everyday a young man turns eleven."

"It's just a number, isn't it?"

"No.  It's much more than a number.  In your case, today is very special and if you go in there on the couch and wait for me I promise I'll tell you why."

Harry smiled broadly, his curiosity high.  "Okay.  I'll find something on television!"

She bent down and kissed him on the cheek.  "I thought you might."

He went along into the living room.  When she was sure he was distracted by the television, she rolled up the summer dress she was wearing and plucked her wand from its hiding place.  She never went anywhere without it, afraid she may have needed it at some point and time to protect Harry.  She gave the wand a wave and the dishes began to wash themselves.  She leaned up against the kitchen counter wondering what in the world she was going to say to him.  How would she even start the conversation?  She couldn't just blurt it out.  Harry might go into shock or something.  She knew one thing though.  She was going to show him she was just like him, that he wasn't alone.  Suddenly an idea came into her head.  There was one way she could break it to him.  

Alaina tiptoed over to the corner of the kitchen and peeked into the living room.  Harry had the remote in his hand, concentrating hard on the screen.  She glanced back at the dishes.  They were almost finished.  It was almost time to break the news to her nephew he was a powerful wizard.  She sighed.  This wasn't going to be easy.  She gave her wand another wave and all the dishes were dry and floating to their rightful places in the cabinets.  She tucked her wand back into its holster.  She kept it on her leg now and her dresses were always ankle length.  She didn't think it would be appropriate to keep it on her thigh when she might have to get it out in front of Harry some time.  She smoothed her dress down and went into the living room.

Bugs Bunny was blasting from the television and Harry was laughing heartily at the ridiculous cartoon.  She walked over and sat down beside of him.  She pulled him close to her for a moment and then let him go.  He eagerly raised the remote and turned off the television.

"Is it time for out talk?" he asked with an excited smile.

She chuckled lightly.  "Yes.  Anytime you're ready, birthday boy."