"Jeonha, run!"

The scream comes from the hill behind you. You both whirl.

The head of the royal guard comes running over with his sword drawn. His teeth are grit, hair blown from the wind that sweeps through the grass, rippling. His blade is already stained with a color that makes your stomach lurch at the implication.

"Hoseok— What's going on?" The king yells back.

"Rebels! An ambush. We don't have enough men!"

These few seconds are all the warning you get.

An incredible roar of voices comes exploding up and then you see them. The thick crowd of men that come surging over the hill, fighting their way towards you. The unforgettable clatter of metal on metal desecrates this once-sacred ground. Your legs go soft as you panic, scrambling. You're trying not to watch as guards and rebels alike are cut down, but the enemies are steadily advancing still. What should you do? Where should you go?

"Myungho, get the horses!" The king barks out. But one look at the steeds tells you that they're frightened, rearing back as men descend upon them. They're off, running away on instinct to preserve their own lives while damning yours.

"Jeonha, what are your orders?" Myungho's grip on his weapon is tight.

"Go. Help Hoseok."

"Yes, jeonha!"

But as the battle wears on, the dread in you only grows. The king's men are skilled, but it seems there were only a few to begin with. They are overwhelmed by sheer numbers, yelling for jeonha to escape but he doesn't move. You don't know what to do. You are at a complete loss, standing beside him with fingers growing steadily numb. You have to do something. You— You can't just let it end here, at the hands of these men bellowing with violence and anger and pain.

"Jeonha, w-we have to run," you stutter, forcing yourself to move, tugging at the fabric of his robes. But when you look back at the opposite side, your only escape route, a throng of rebels come scattering across the grass. Cutting you off; rendering you helpless.

"Myungho, cover the rear!" Hoseok spits out as he takes down another three by himself, the quick whip of his blade reflecting a beam of sun. But even he, with two other guards in front, cannot hold all of them off, though there are less of the rebels now that remain standing.

Caught in the middle, you can only watch your allies strain and sweat. In your heart, you promise desperately that you heal them in the end, if only they will hold on now.

With an awful cry, one of the guards hits the ground and a rebel uses that chance. Breaks through the line of defense and charges right towards you both.

"Fuck the king!" He yells, his face smeared with dirt, his sword raised as his bare feet trip upon the grass but he just keeps coming somehow and you have no weapons and you have no shields but the very first instinct, the most primal one you have is to throw yourself in front of the king and take his pain for him and—

Hoseok dispatches the rebel from behind just as you move a single step forward.

"You..." The king's voice is hoarse. His eyes are wide with shock as he stares at you, at what you just did. Then he's shoving you aside and stooping to pick up the abandoned sword from the ground.

You realize what he means when he sweeps up his sleeves, adjusts his grip on the worn handle. "Wait, no, jeonha, you cannot—"

"Stay behind me."

"I cannot allow you to—"

"Do not argue with me."

Again, he leaves you with no choice but to watch his back.