XXII: The Attack

I'm not dead! idk about u guys but that felt like forever for me. its been almost month. 

Harry noticed that recently, he'd been spending more time away from Ron and Hermione than ever before. He supposed it was because he had grown exhausted of their childish spats; not just Ron and Hermione's row, but also the fights Harry picked with them. Harry started to envy the friendships of his classmates, admiring how that their first and foremost rule was to forgive, whether right away or in time. He had never been jealous of others' friends, so he guessed it was some sort of warning sign that his tight friendship with Ron and Hermione.

However, Harry had never been the type to see the writing on the wall, particularly with social things, so he decided to destroy the thoughts of his friendship worries before they were even fully formed inside his head.

Instead, he decided to devote his time to more important things, like the investigation of Draco and the training of the Quidditch team. That was how he found himself walking to the Three Broomsticks with Katie Bell, while congratulating himself how he killed two birds with one stone. By talking to Katie, he could inquire about how she got the necklace again and also discuss strategies to try out during Quidditch practice.

They walked in silence, the only sounds being distant chatter and their boots crunching in the snow. Harry had made polite conversation when they first left Hogwarts, but he had run out of things to ask. Katie usually was the one who started the conversation when they talked, but she was only giving him one-word answers.

They passed the first shops in Hogsmeade. It was much louder now, with kids fooling around and chatting. It started feeling less awkward, and the tension receded from Harry's shoulders.

It returned when Katie suddenly stopped a meter from the door to the Three Broomsticks, forcing Harry to stop too.

"Harry," she said.

"Katie," he said, imitating her tone, not sure what she wanted.

"Are you sure you need to worry about the necklace so much? I understand that you're trying to protect us and the school, and I appreciate it, honest, but it's eating up your life," Katie said suddenly.

"It's not-" Harry protested.

"You've asked me everyday, whether it's at dinner, in class, or in the common room, whether I remember anything. I saw a house-elf stalking Malfoy once. I heard that you accused Malfoy of the necklace, so I'm pretty sure you had to do something with that," Katie said, quietly enough so a passerby couldn't overhear, but with enough strength so Harry could understand her stance.

Harry had heard of the phrase "saved by the doorbell" before. Hell, he had been saved by the doorbell several times back at the Dursleys.

Harry now felt it was appropriate to use the words, "saved by the dragon." Of course, it wasn't good that a dragon arrived, since it dive-bombed the Three Broomsticks.

There was screaming as the dragon plunged into the wooden roof of the Three Broomsticks. The door was flung open as students and bartenders ran out of the bar. The dragon started to furiously rip chunks of wood and throw them away. Its claws clearly tore through the roof, turning wooden planks into wood shavings. You didn't have to be Charlie Weasley to understand that the dragon was looking for something. What could it be looking for? An egg? Was it sniffing the place where the necklace once rested? Did-

"Potter! What are you standing there for?" Katie yelled. She gestured to the adults and several older students surrounding the dragon, casting spells at it so it could be chained.

Harry nodded, and took his wand from his robes.

Several wizards were trying to cast the spell which would chain the dragon, but chains wouldn't appear, even for the older wizards. Soon they switched to the Stunning Spell, but that didn't work either. The dragon perked its head up and sniffed, and suddenly charged at one of the bartenders.