19. Where Do Your Allegiances Lie?

Start from the beginning

The sensitivity of my story shut both wolves up for a while, although I could see Aven squinting his eyes. I had no idea what he was thinking and I hated to admit that that somehow scared me. Once again I was stuck with an Alpha who hated me. Only now, I had no more way out. Jerr cut my thoughts and broke the silence first. "I am sorry you had to go through that, Sari. And your knowledge on Fire Moon will be useful, I'm sure of it."

"We shall see about that last bit," Aven corrected him. "Where do your allegiances lie, young wolf?" He asked me.

"Here, in Death Moon," I answered, insulted but not surprised at the doubt about my loyalties. I hadn't been in Death Moon long enough to prove myself, but I knew that in time, I would.

"How far are you willing to go to prove that?"

Jerr wanted to cut in, and I saw worry written on his face as I beat him to it and answered Aven. "How far do you want me to go?"

I felt Jerr's green eyes pierce me, but I ignored it and kept my focus on Aven. "I don't want to wait until we are fully prepared for war before we avenge Willis. I want revenge, now. And with you, that can happen. You know Fire Moon, that gives us an edge."

"You want to strike back," I determined. "I'm in, whatever it is you're planning."

A devilish smile appeared on Aven's face, and in the corner of my eye I could see Jerr lightly shake his head. "She's not nearly strong enough," he objected.

"I know," Aven said. I knew, too. But I was sick and tired of being too weak to fight back against Beckett. "Sari will train with Feytan, starting tomorrow. But even then, I'm not sending her to Fire Moon."

"You're not?" I asked surprised. He was just talking about involving me in this revenge. And now he already changed his mind?

"I'm not. You know Fire Moon, but Fire Moon knows you as well. And I don't trust you nearly enough to let you into enemy territory."

"Then what exactly do you expect of me?"

"Information," he said. "But not right now. You should rest some more, since your training begins tomorrow. Jerr will escort you back to your room." And then he waved me away.

          Jerr walked me down the stairs, heading back to my room in the sleeping quarters

Jerr walked me down the stairs, heading back to my room in the sleeping quarters. "I don't get why you were so surprised in the Castle that I wasn't afraid of Beckett, when you haven't shown me anything to contradict it of yourself," he murmured, enjoyment decorating his tone.

"I'm terrified of Beckett," I said.

"Yet, you told everyone you'd sell him out when he was still your Alpha. And in the Castle, you fought back. And now, you didn't even think twice about whatever it is you would need to do, you would still fight back. That's a show of bravery if you ask me, not fear."