C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y

Here Comes the Bride

V A L E R I U S ' P O V :

"Ellie! I'm home!" I shut the door behind me. The noise echoes through the house.

Little pats on the floor intensify until Ellie runs right to me with a huge grin. I pick her up with one hand and kiss her cheek. I hand her the two flowers in my hand. She grabs them.

"Thank you, papà!" She kisses my cheek back and I chuckle.

"You're welcome, piccolina."

We go into the kitchen together and put the flower into a vase next to the other six. I kept my promise and I've brought flowers home for my girl everyday since the.. incident. Two flowers each day to give her what she deserves. Hypothetically, one to represent her and one to represent me but both are for her.

Ellie tells me that she and Tommy aren't dating anymore. I sleep better at night knowing this.

"Papà?"

"Ellie." I reply in the same tone.

"Can I go to work with you?"

I hold Ellie's hand as we walk outside onto the back porch. I give her a juice box.

I bite my lip for a moment because I know I can't say yes. Ellie can not come to work with me. It is far too dangerous.

"Why?" I deflect. "Papà's job is very boring."

"Mrs. Williams said that tomorrow all the kids go to work with their mamma or papà."

"Papà's job isn't very good for kids. Is it okay if you just go to school tomorrow?"

Please say yes. I can't handle sad Ellie right now.

Ellie's eyebrows scrunch together for a moment. She thinks hard about her answer.. maybe a little too hard.

A little smile inches on her face as she looks out into the yard. She nods her head slowly and looks to me with a big smile.

"Okay!"

I furrow my eyebrow for a moment. That was easy.

"Okay then."

• • •

T H I R D P E R S O N P O V :

"Ellie.. you no ever talk to me anymore!"

"I can't! Papà said no.. lots of times."

"Why so?"

Ellie blinks at him. Why isn't she allowed to talk to
Tommy anymore? She can't really remember the reason anymore.

"Papà said no! He don't like that I have a boyfriend!"

"But— but you're my girlfriend!" Tommy falls to his knees in front of Ellie who is crisscross-applesauce on the ground. "We play all the time! Who will I play with if you not my girlfriend no more?" He pouts.