29. TEXT BOOK TAKEDOWN

The Tesla carrying Jamison and Darrow left CENTIEN and the downtown area. Unknown to the two men, ODIN's kinetic payload was tracking the signal being emitted from Darrow's cell.

Jamison pointed to a glowing stream high in the atmosphere, growing larger by the minute. "That must be the strike on CENTIEN, Casper ordered." He gave a sigh of relief. "We got out of there just in time." When he pulled onto the interstate, the glowing missile arced, curving in their direction. A supersonic rumble cracked the air, as if Zeus' fabled chariot was thundering across the night sky, bringing the sun. Jamison squinted at the growing fireball. "What the hell?"

"Mother of God!" Darrow said. "That strike's headed straight for us." He was unable to take his eyes off the approaching Rods of Death.

~~~~~~

On screen, Satoshi watched the kinetic strike deliver its payload. She closed her eyes as the Colorado mountainside housing her father's remote headquarters crumbled in an avalanche, entombing her father in a pyramid of rock. She bowed in respect, reciting a prayer of thanks to the beloved man who had made the ultimate sacrifice for her.

A few seconds later, the second payload struck the maroon Tesla SUV, leaving a smoking, moon-like crater in the middle of the interstate.

~~~~~~

"Satoshi, what's happening?" Ray whispered. For a full minute, there was no answer. Only silence, interspersed with static. Evie brought him a charger. When Ray's phone reanimated, he saw the devastation the kinetic attacks had caused. Satoshi finally spoke. "They had to die, Ray. It was the only way." She cut communication before he could respond.

Ray looked at his friends. "Satoshi's father redirected the attack away from us onto himself." His hand holding the phone dropped to his side. "Atsu's dead." He bowed his head. "He sacrificed himself to save us."

Evie hugged him, tears in her eyes. "Is it really over?" She started crying.

Lear walked over and put his hand on Ray's shoulder. Sinclair grabbed his best friend and pulled him into a group hug. "God, I never thought I'd see you again, Denis." Tears formed at the corner of his eyes.

"I never thought I'd live to see you either. I'm my own worst enemy, Ray." Lear broke down, sobbing. Deedee helped Vince hobble over. Together, they wrapped their long leather-clad arms around the grieving trio.