50 - Awake Surgery

Start from the beginning

The world blurred to Harlow as they took her into the operating room. She couldn't focus on the surrounding around her, they all just merged into one mess. Her head was foggy too.

Harlow was thrown into a state of panic as she watched the surgeon open up her arm. The lack of pain was startling to her. It just wasn't right. Harlow knew she had been given local anaesthesia, she knew that. But the lack of pain or feeling in the arm as she could quite literally see into, was causing her a weird sense of anguish and anxiousness.

"Harlow you doing okay?" The surgeon asked, without their eyes leaving Harlow's arm, their hands moving to do their job.

"Uh huh." Harlow forced out a small noise of agreement. But she wasn't. The whole situation was causing the girl an ungodly amount of stress.

Harlow had multiple experiments done to her, against her will, while she was still awake. She would always be able to feel as they pierced her skin and viciously dug into it. Yes, it was always painful and caused her a lot of grief.

But this option was turning out to be just as bad.

Harlow clenched her teeth. She had to make sure she stayed restrained. Her breathing was noticeably heavy but the lead surgeon chose not to mention it.

But then they shouted out in alarm. "Her veins are going orange again! The girls veins are orange!"

"Hurry up." Harlow rasped out, locking eyes with the surgeon. "Hurry up!" She repeated with force in her voice and In as much alarm as the surgeon.

"H-Harlow we're almost done." The surgeon responded as they jumped right back into action.

Harlow took in a shaky breath as she shook her head. "You've gotta be done now!" She told them firmly, her eyes erratic as her heartbeat quickened, the monitors beeping speeding up as well.

The surgeon nodded, "I'm about to place the last screw." They reassured Harlow but quickly paused. "Harlow you-you're heating up."

"Place the last fucking screw!" Harlow demanded through clenched teeth.

Nick marched through the OR door, concern illustrated across his face slipping though his neutral mask. "What the hell is going on?" He demanded with authority.

Harlow looked up at him with fear. She was caught in a loop in her head, one she couldn't get out of.

It was the cruel face of the experimental surgeon at the organisation. He spat while he talked, the spit landing on Harlow's face as she lay strapped tightly down to the cold metal 'bed.

A loud scream ripped out of Harlow's lungs as he dug his blade into the base of her skull. He didn't stop, he didn't care that she was in pain. All he cared about was himself and Harlow's cries for him to stop only spurred him on.

"The incision is closing." The surgeon mumbled as they removed their hands after placing the final screw.

"It's closing?" Nick questioned as he paced at the side of the room, not coming too close in case he caused contamination.

The surgeon looked over their shoulder at Nick. Their eyes blown wide. "The skins just forming together. Like-like it's sowing itself back together."

"Harlow?" Nick called out to her, hearing the machine beeping erratically. "Is she crashing?"

"No. No I'm fine." Harlow murmured as she slowly pushed herself off the surgical table. Her legs crumbled as her feet touched the ground, her arms grabbing onto anything to keep her stable. "I just- I just gotta get out of here." She rambled, ripping wire from her body and pulling her hospital gown around herself as she made a break for it.