twenty-five: losing track of time

Start from the beginning

Then I happened to glance at the notebook Solar had been writing on. Without giving it much thought, I pointed at the second answer. "You got that one wrong."

"Ugh, I did?" Solar groaned, looking down at his notebook. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't m-mean to.." I hurried to apologize, realizing it was rude to point out other people's mistakes.

"No, it's good, thanks." Solar reassured me. Then he frowned and scratched the back of his head. "I really don't understand the first thing about chemistry."

I scribbled the formula on the corner of the page and explained it to him, secretly proud of myself when I could at least show my knowledge in chemistry.

"Oh, I get it now." When Solar was done, he handed the notebook to me, a hopeful look in his eyes. 

"Yeah, now it's right."

"See, what did I tell you? You're not dumb." Solar grinned happily and ruffled my hair. 

We spent the next hour or so sipping our sodas and talking about non-school related stuff. Solar talked about his interests and family, and somehow the more I knew about him the more I craved to find out. 

His parents were easy-going and pretty much let him do whatever he wanted to do. He was hoping to get into a university to study philosophy, psychology and linguistics. He was an only child and he thought it was a bummer, since having a brother or a sister would have made his home less lonely. Apparently his parents really did live in the hospital. 

Although, to be honest, I spent a good time just admiring his face when he talked. I liked how his voice rose slightly when he mentioned the things he was passionate about and I liked the way he sometimes got so into talking that he forgot to stop to breathe. I even liked the way he drank his soda, and my eyes strayed to his Adam's apple every time he swallowed. I was being painfully obvious about it, but I couldn't help myself.

"I have an idea." Solar took a deep breath, determined yet apprehensive. "I should read to you. It could be fun, right?"

"You'd do that for me?" I must have looked like an idiot when I stared at him with round eyes and lips parted by surprise. 

"Why not?" Solar smiled. "I also remember reading that hearing someone reading for them is good for people with dyslexia. Besides, it's a good book. I don't mind reading it again."

"You d-don't have to go t-through all that trouble for me." I shook my head.

"Just let me do it." He wasn't asking. "And then you can help me pass chemistry." 

I can't even begin to describe how awkward it felt at first. I'm not talking about the reading, but the setup that needed to be done beforehand. Solar had me laying on the floor, on top of an oriental carpet, while he sat cross-legged and placed the book on his lap. He was so close — some would even say unnecessarily close, but I didn't mind — to me that his knee pressed against my hip. And he wanted me to close my eyes.

After a while I relaxed and let Solar's voice guide me into the story like never before. I could actually see the events in my head and enjoy it. Solar modified his voice when he read the dialogues and sometimes we both cracked up when he made it sound overly whimsical.

When my phone started ringing, it made me scowl, because I just wanted Solar to keep reading and reading. I glanced at the clock on the screen before answering and seeing how late it was made me gasp.

"Hi, mom. Sorry, I-I lost track of time." I decided it was better to start apologizing before mom had time to begin the lecture of being late from dinner.

"Are you having fun?" She asked, her tone softer than I had expected. 

"Yes." I actually started by nodding, but then realized she couldn't see it and said it out loud instead. Solar was smiling at me amusedly and I had a random urge to hide my face behind my hands. 

"Okay, that's good. I hope you got some school work done as well." Mom's voice turned sceptical, but I could tell she was happy that I was out seeing a friend and not just playing in my room. No matter if I got the school work done or not. "You better get home before Jeffrey has to reheat the dinner, young man."

I was well aware I needed to hurry home after the call, but somehow I lingered in the hallway, reluctant to leave. Solar had ushered me there and was leaning on the doorway, seeming almost as enthusiastic about me leaving than I was. 

"I was thin—" He began at the same time as I blurted out: "Are you busy tomorrow?"

"I was just about to ask you the same." Solar chuckled. "I had fun today and we still have about 400 pages to go, so.."

"My place or yours?" I grinned.