14 - Golden Fish Number Two

Start from the beginning

Standing beside Bai Zhou, she turned her attention toward the half-done sketch that he had been working on so far. It was a portrait of her—or from the artist's point of view, Ji Xinxin—reading a book with a lowered head. It had a tranquil vibe that brought serenity to those looking at it.

It's hard to believe that this was drawn by someone of Bai Zhou's personality.

Bai Zhou subconsciously reached for Ji Fanyin's hand while the latter was still looking at his sketch, but the moment their fingers barely came into contact, she quickly pulled her hand away.

In the end, he only managed to grab onto her coat, though he clutched onto it with surprising tenacity, refusing to let go at all.

Ji Fanyin lowered her head to look at him and her eyebrows shot up a little.

...

It was a particularly peaceful sleep for Bai Zhou till he was woken up.

The first thing he saw upon opening his eyes was the person he liked, and it brought a smile onto his face. He called out to her with a voice that was still a little nasal from having just woken up, "Big sis."

"You lazy bum." The other party poked his forehead. "It's already after lunchtime. Your tummy is going to start hurting if you don't wake up soon."

Bai Zhou closed his eyes groggily as he mumbled softly, "I want to eat... the food you make. You said that you would learn some of the local specialties in... France...!"

His words gradually slowed down, and the final word was literally spoken with a shout. He immediately sat upward as if he had been struck by lightning.

Shit! Ji Xinxin is obviously in France! The person beside me in a fake!

Bai Zhou glared at Ji Fanyin with a mixture of anger and fright, but the latter simply directed an unfazed smile at him and asked, "Are you finally awake?"

He wanted to burst out cursing, but at the next moment, he belatedly realized that he was holding onto her coat. He immediately flung it off as countless vulgarities flashed across his mind.

"Lunch? We'll get delivery!" He vigorously whipped out his phone and tapped into a delivery app. "We'll be eating fried chicken!"

Ji Fanyin sighed softly. "You're still young. You shouldn't eat junk food all the time."

"That's none of your business!" shouted Bai Zhou. He was like a volcano that was already on the verge of eruption. "You aren't like big sis at all! Do you even know how to cook?!"

"I do," replied Ji Fanyin with a smile. "I know a bit of French cuisine. What would you like to eat?"

Bai Zhou was in the midst of furiously adding spicy chicken into his shopping cart when his finger abruptly came to a halt. "... Really?"

"The preparation time might be a bit long though, and I don't have any ingredients at my place." Ji Fanyin took a look at her watch. "Why don't I grab some ingredients later on and cook dinner for you?"

Bai Zhou stared at her intently as if he was trying to guard against a thief.

But in the end, he still caved in and agreed to it. He even passed his phone to her and said, "Order what you want for lunch."

Ji Fanyin scrolled through the menu of the unhealthy fried chicken fast food restaurant, and in the end, she opted for Ji Xinxin's usual choice of salad and corn.

It's lucky that I ate more for breakfast, she thought.

Probably thanks to having rested up well, Bai Zhou was much more effective in the afternoon. He managed to finish two sketches, which he carefully stowed away in a folder as if it was some sort of precious treasure.