Chapter XIII - The heroic figure.

Start from the beginning

 I finally perceive that Maria has used healing magic, as I see that my wounds have been healed in a short time.

 Her magic activates faster than anyone else's, partly due to the Gift of Fast Chanting.

'There are only three Kobolds left, right?'

'Yes.'

'Well, then, dear. Do me a favour, will you?"

'Yeah, I'm on it. The bad dog that bit my daughter needs to be well disciplined in hell.'

 He grips the sword with both hands and takes a swing.

 With that, the meadow split open, exposing the ground beneath. It was a swing that was more than enough to remind him of the power of Lyell's sword.

'Gah, Garl--'

'Wah ...... cahn.'

 The surviving Kobold had its tail tucked between its legs and was raising its fur in a frightened manner.

 Of course, Lyell was not going to relent at such a display.

 With a yell that was almost a roar, it slashed at them, slashing them down, crushing them and laying waste to them.

 His appearance was truly that of a war demon.

 It was the dynamic fighting behaviour of a 'warrior' that neither I now, nor I once was, could do.

 Seeing that, I really felt it. In order to reach that position, I still have to train.

 To do that, I can't do it by my own strength alone.

 In my previous life, I had mastered the art of assassination. But that's not what I wanted.

 That form of Lyell is the form of the warrior I wanted to be.

 The shortcut to that, after all, would be to study under him.

 I finally relaxed when the thought came to me.

 Immediately after that, my vision fades to black.

 The wounds should have already been healed by Maria. And yet - ?

'Oh, Nicole. The healing magic I cast was basic, so it didn't fully heal her until she bled out. So now you need to take a good rest."

Nah, so ......"

'In some cases, when you force tissue regeneration, all sorts of bad things happen to the body. So you have to let them heal on their own as much as possible."

 Where I heard that much, my consciousness was cut off in a pause.

 When I woke up, I was being carried to my room.

 Lyell was by my side and Maria was nowhere to be seen.

 And that girl was nowhere to be seen.

'Oh, you're awake, Nicole.

'...... dad'.

'Maria's a bit of a sober Spartan, too, looking like that. She should at least give her a refresh.'

 Refresh is the highest level of healing magic that can even heal missing parts.

 This can even supplement lost blood.

 However, Maria had previously tended to apply only the minimum necessary healing techniques and encouraged people to heal on their own.

 This was because it had been suggested that excessive healing magic could result in some kind of discrepancy between the healed area and the surrounding area, and conversely leave a subtle disorder.

'But you did heal me properly. Don't take it badly.'

  Maria would never abandon an injured person.

 She heals wounds that can be healed properly until the end.

 She only refrains from refreshing them to be on the safer side.

 Of course, even Lyell knows this well. The reason he is unusually complaining to Maria is because I - her beloved daughter - was injured.

'Oh, I know that, too. I wasn't blaming you, Mum.'

'Yeah--yeah, Dad. Can you do me a favour?"

 'I'm going to try to beg her to do it with my special technique that I've learnt enough in the last three years, the 'superior eye contact'.

 'Sure enough, the effect is outstanding. Lyell fell easily.'

'What is it? Dad, Nicole will listen to anything you say!"

 Lyell responds to his daughter's unusual 'request' with a futilely enthusiastic answer.

 The girl was so eager to get on with it that we were taken aback.

 I was a little turned up, but I didn't lose my flirtatious attitude and connected my words.

'Will you teach me the sword?'

 At these words, Lyell made a face like a pigeon had been hit by a peashooter.