CHAPTER 4 | tearful apologies

KATARA SAT WITH Kasumi again, whilst they were on Appa. They were talking and Katara was teaching her how to sew. Kasumi had a small piece of cloth and was practicing a few patterns. Sokka was mumbling about how he's hungry. She rolled her eyes and turned away from him.

It was dark and she could tell that the kids were getting tired. "Aang?" Kasumi whispered, "How about you and Katara go to sleep. I'll steer Appa." Aang turned to me, his eyes drooping. "You sure? Let me, at least, go through how to steer him real quickly."

He showed her what reigns to pull and how to manoeuvre Appa around rocks and trees. Then he grabbed a blanket and settled down at the back of the saddle with Katara. They huddled together wrapped in the blanket, sleeping. Sokka and Kasumi were the only ones awake.

It was silent for a while. She shivered slightly. The clothes she was wearing weren't suited for the cold, really. I suppose, me being a firebender would make me feel a bit warmer, she thought. Kasumi stared at the beautiful night sky. A dark bluish black with clusters of stars. She took a deep breath and sighed.

"Hey... Kasumi."she heard Sokka say.

"What is it, Sokka?" she replied, angrily, her grip on the reigns tightening.

"Geez, you're still pissed."

"Maybe, it's just because I'm evil."

"If you're gonna be immature then fine."

Kasumi whipped her head around to face her. "I'm the immature one?! You're the one, that can't even fucking consider that not every single person with Fire Nation blood is evil!" He shrugged.

Spirits, imagine how he'd act if I told him I was a firebender, she thought.

"You're so ignorant and so obnoxious! I hate you so much at the moment! Why do have to be like this?!"

"It's not my fault! You're the one with Fire Nation in you!"

"And I just chose it to be that way, right? Because that's how that shit works."

"Well, I'm not sorry."

"Please stop talking to me."

"Fine." Sokka turned away. Three minutes later, he tapped Kasumi on the back.

"Don't touch me."

"Kasumi, the reason why I hate the Fire Nation so much is because my mother was killed by them. Katara had to see her burnt body. I watched her body be buried." he said, softly.

"I'm sorry Sokka, but that doesn't excuse you."

"I saw that horrid burn. It, s-she didn't even look human. It was like.. she wasn't even my mother anymore." He started crying softly. Kasumi sighed and turned to face him. Her arms fell open and he came forward and put his head on her shoulder.

"Listen, Sokka. What happened to your mother was.. horrible. It was despicable, but you can't use her as an excuse. I understand that it must've been painful. I know what it's like. But please, please, try to listen to me." She lifted his face up so that he was looking at her. "I have Fire Nation blood. I didn't ask to be born that way. It just happened. But I don't kill people because I can. I don't attack innocent villages and destroy families."

"I'm sorry, Kasumi. I'm so so sorry. I- You're not evil. I just wanted to be stubborn and win the argument." And he sobbed into her chest for what seemed like ages. When they pulled away, he apologised for the tear stains on her shirt and went to went to sleep. Kasumi is strong, but forgives easily. She steered Appa until daylight. They landed in the woods.